Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Bug Reports
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Bug Reports
Subject Topic: ph_ping1 Time Out Behavior Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
smarty
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2017 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Not sure if this might be related to some of the other "time out" behaviors I have previously bug reported, but here is what I see for the "ph_ping1" function.

Background - I have a "system checker" type macro that runs on a timed event (every 20 minutes). Whenever my ISP goes down, I find that my "system checker" macro starts to hang/slow/etc. my PH system. I have traced this down to my internet check where I try to ping services outside of my local network....like Google or yahoo. Originally I used a function like:

ph_ping("yahoo.com",255) ... if my internet is down, it would take about 12-14 seconds to return and tell me that...(too long).

So, I started playing with ph_ping1 function because it has a timeout)...but for whatever reason, the timeout does not stop the function within the allotted timeout time.

...not sure if this is important,...but I do my testing of these functions in the "Formula Builder" box that pops up when you double click on a formula in a macro line.

gg102

Posted: March 10 2017 at 21:10 | IP Logged Quote gg102

My experience is that the ph_ping() and ph_ping1() suspend PH until the ph_ping function completes. For me, I do not
like suspending PH. I also ping google to make sure my internet connection is running. I launch a hidden DOS .BAT
using a .VBS script. My .BAT writes a .TXT file that I have PH trigger on. I outlined my process in this thread if
you're interested.

http://www.power-home.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10702&PN =1

Hope it helps.

Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 11 2017 at 14:30 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

I'll add this as a bug to my todo list and see if I can
make the function adhere to the timeout value.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version