Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: How do I upgrade from 21b to 2.1.5c Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 04 2018 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

Is there an easy step by step list of actions to update
from 21b to 2.1.5c/d?

I think there are some DB upgrade tricks that need to be
done, but I fell like I may not have caught all of them.

Any input would be most appreciated.
Back to Top View QuickCarl2K1's Profile Search for other posts by QuickCarl2K1 Visit QuickCarl2K1's Homepage

QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 05 2018 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

I followed the directions for upgrading on the PH 2.1.5
thread, but it didn't work for me.

After using Control Panel to uninstall PH, when I ran
the PH2.1.5 installer, I get the error message that I
must uninstall older versions of PH. However all
version s have been uninstalled.

I looked to see if I could find any remnants using
regedit, I find nothing. There is no powerhome dir, and
there are no entries in the progam listings. Not sure
what to do now.
Back to Top View QuickCarl2K1's Profile Search for other posts by QuickCarl2K1 Visit QuickCarl2K1's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 05 2018 at 20:12 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Carl,

Reviewing some of your recent posts, it appears that you were originally on PowerHome 2.1b and are trying to upgrade to PowerHome 2.1.5d. It appears that
you may be trying to install the new version in the old install location that 2.1b used to use which would be C:\program files\powerhome or c:\program
files (x86)\powerhome.

It is critical to instead install into c:\powerhome especially on any version of Windows from Vista on up. Be sure and run the install program as an
administrator (right click the install program and select "Run as Administrator"). Also be sure that the c:\powerhome directory does not already exist.

Once youve got the new version installed, if you have access to your pwrhome.db and pwrhome.ini files from your 2.1b install and you'd like to upgrade,
you can use the DB Upgrade utility. The version that is in 2.1.5(c/d) is not capable of upgrading from a 2.1b database (way to old). There is a .zip file
in the PowerHome directory (phupg.zip) that contains all the previous dbupgrade utitilies. You'll need to unzip 1 or more of these and then run them
sequentially to get your database up to the version that 2.1.5(c/d) requires.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 06 2018 at 04:38 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

Thanks for the reply Dave, much appreciated.

My problem still exists in that the routine that
checks for previous installs is stopping the install
because it says there is a previous version installed,
but there is not.

I uninstalled using Control Panel (Win10Pro 64bit).
confirmed that there is no PH program anywhere on my
machine. Confirmed that there is no powerhome
directory on my machine.

When I run the installer as Admin, the correct process
starts (Win Security making sure I want to install)
and when I say 'yes' your Setup 'alert' launches. the
wording is "A previous version of PowerHome is
currently installed on your system. You must
uninstall all previous versions of PowerHome before
installing version 2.1.5c" with my only choice of
choosing "OK"

Again, I have checked as best I could, but can't even
find an entry for PH in the registry. I'm at a loss
as to where to check, because I don't know where your
routine is checking. I can only confirm there is no
installation of PH and there is no c:\powerhome
directory.

I await input from folks smarter than me.

Edited by QuickCarl2K1 - December 07 2018 at 04:09

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 06 2018 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Carl,

I checked the installer sourcecode and if any of the following registry keys are present, you will get the Previous version installed error message:

RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{3035DF25-9BF0-43E5-BACD-2B7ADDF6BE3C}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{6F5835AC-A1D6-4F0E-A0A4-156E855965E4}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{6F7D953F-C266-4789-945D-81212189FEBD}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{8A30E8FD-97F4-4CF0-BEBE-F2AE65856BD2}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{312969DC-B5EA-46AE-8C12-60C8BBD61CD8}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{3EE51B0D-6600-469E-AE1B-B4BCE5217FA4}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{3C54EE59-A387-40BA-8DE3-6377B8752D9E}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{5BE09872-9011-42FE-A987-61A555F57A6C}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{9185AEA7-A03D-4EA5-928A-8619D7107DBA}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{7B432C74-8E9B-4C88-AAD0-4020281D256B}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{3A7DC059-9717-4124-9AD5-44A9FBDC0687}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{613DAD43-6D2B-4D69-9BD0-19BB3115E7B8}')
RegQueryStringValue(HKLM,'Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\{4BDA3BC5-6A92-4CC4-89BD-F47E8A6A7FDF}')

If one of these keys exists, there must be some component of a previous version installed somewhere. Looking at the data for these keys, you should be able
to determine what the component is and then use Add/Remove Programs to remove it.

Worse case scenario, you can manually delete the registry entry and see if it will work for you.

Let me know,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 07 2018 at 03:58 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. None of those registry keys is on
my machine.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 07 2018 at 18:37 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Carl,

Let me know if Pete's PM helps you at all. Based upon the report you ran in the other thread, it would appear there are some remnants remaining.

Thanks,

Dave.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 08 2018 at 01:13 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Carl, check pm again. Thks

QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 08 2018 at 12:02 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

Not sure what kind of magic Pete used to get rid of the
remnants of the uninstalled PH older versions, but once
he did that, it was pretty smooth sailing.

I'm happily now running PH 2.1.5c

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 08 2018 at 18:16 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Carl,

So happy to hear you are now up and running on 2.1.5c. I think you'll like it much better than 2.1b.

A big shout out and thanks to Pete for working with Carl to get him going. I know this type diagnostic is usually VERY complicated.

THANK YOU PETE!!!

Dave.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 08 2018 at 23:38 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Glad I was able raise Customer Satisfaction up a notch.
Had to stir the pot with a little magic. The results
were positive because Carl and I worked on the problem
as a team rather than I being a lecturer. The trick was
faking the install process into believing there was no
previous install. I was able to modify the register
automatically without manually deleting any entries. It
not what PH was looking for but was what did not happen
in the initial uninstall. The original error occurred
way back in time when the first uninstall of 2.1b
occurred. That happen before I got involved. Any re
occurrences of trying to repeat the uninstall then
failed thus so did the following installs of any PH.
Now I'll go back to hibernation waiting for Z-Wave
integration. I' kind of busy with Alexa controlling PH.
Hoping to find a simple solution to that scenario.

QuickCarl2K1
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 09 2018 at 07:00 | IP Logged Quote QuickCarl2K1

Get yourself a smarthub and enjoy Alexa integration outside of PH while you are working on it. What's what I'm doing.

I'm also up for Zwave.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 14 2018 at 17:48 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

That is what I have been working on. I am working on setting triggers to
wake up PH. If I can make this methodology work seamlessly then I
think it will work for my schedule of events. As we all know Dave’s
release projections are as close to winning the lottery. If “soon” is said
maybe this decade Or “by the end of the year” means. I’m tied up till
the end of the year Just kidding Dave....
Dave’s house is partitioned into done and developing by a curtain. I’ve
seen both sides as one is neat and the other is work in progress For
the life of me I don’t know how he performs on his real job.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 15 2018 at 15:57 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Pete,

Im hurt . Ive actually made progress on my house and the wiring closet you originally saw is much more tidy now (not every wire is terminated but the ones
that arent are rolled and stowed and the equipment rack is now in the closet. Still have to get the smoked glass doors added. The curtain is down also and Ive
actually started using the space as living area.

However, it is true that Im slow on getting things done and my estimates are way off. As such, I think I can get my Alexa integration released as a patch
relatively quick. We're battling year end at my real job so Im thinking I should be able to have it ready by mid January (2019 ).

I know Z-wave is a biggie (for me also since the boss said Im not allowed to buy anymore Insteon) but I know the Alexa integration is also very much requested
so hopefully that will tide things over until I get the full release complete.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 15 2018 at 16:18 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

LOL Hope all is well with the boss!
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 15 2018 at 22:07 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

dhoward wrote:
Pete,

Im hurt .
I'm feel soo sorry... Truth be known Mira probable is the driving force to your organizational skills.

Speaking of Skills, I spent about 4 hours plus with AT&T and Directv Chat support trying to connect Alexa Skill to logon to Directv. I kept being passed off to the next level. When they found out I worked 30 years for IBM in main frame software development and support and spent most of my time putting out fires around the world, they changed their tune and finally handed me off to a "Supervisor" speaking a strange language that I didn't recognize. The bottom line is they use your logon to Directv to get control of your install using the Internet portal. The "supervisor", whatever he does, under his breath admitted they had a problem and that I was put on the top of their list to resolve the login problem. I then asked what was their time to resolution and was informed I had been escalated to their highest position. Sounded like queuing to me. I mention to them there was quite a bit of interest in this problem. Then I explained how they might fix the problem to the supervisor. I got a quick lecture I couldn't understand about how security and how they do business to which I gave back an appropriate reply like I remember when their offices had windows and they were not Microsoft's. I once was offered a position with Bell Labs in Conn.

In a nutshell today to logon to AT&T you logon to their hub and then get forward to whatever service you may need. The Amazon App requires one to logon to your Directv account with your psw and they use that hook into your account to control your receiver you may have bought and they own. AT&T's bug is when they pushed to have everyone combine their billing under one id the direct connect was lost and now they are having a political battle with trust allowing Amazon access to an entry into their domain. This was not their explanation to me but those of us who know a little bit about programming can see through it. The caveat is the Amazon App clearly states the requirements are you have a Genie receiver which I don't. That is their entry point into controlling your/their receiver. My point for such a lengthy hijack of this thread, for which I apologize, is I believe PH is on the threshold of breaking through the apparent look alike bridging that needs to be emulated. And if Dave can tighten his development time please he may beat the rest of them to the punch. This integration is one of the hottest projects in a long time. Smarty and others have made inroads but I believe Dave is about to hit the nail on the head. Ok I'll stop ranting and wait for the patch. Dave as in the past if you need a test bed go for it.

Pete...

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 10 2019 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Pete,

Just wanted to confirm you got the email I sent you on Friday.

Thanks,

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version