Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Hardware
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Hardware
Subject Topic: 2448A7 USB adapter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rrioja

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2019 at 19:41 | IP Logged Quote rrioja

I have a question regarding the 2448A7 USB adapter.

I want to use it with PowerHome to set up links between my various Insteon devices. Once I program the links, do the links reside in the Insteon devices (switches, etc.) or in the 2448A7 USB adapter? I read conflicting statements. Once the links are programmed, can I turn off my PC and have the Insteon devices retain their links?

Thank you.
Robert

Edited by rrioja - March 27 2019 at 19:42
Back to Top View rrioja's Profile Search for other posts by rrioja Visit rrioja's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 31 2019 at 14:13 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Robert,

With Insteon, a "link" resides in both the controlling device as well as the responding device (half of a full link resides in each device). I won't
go into the details of what parts live in each device but knowing that a part of the link resides in both devices should suffice.

Once links are programmed into your Insteon devices, if you don't want/need any of the capability that PowerHome provides (timed event, triggers,
remote control of devices, etc), then your PC can be turned off. Keep in mind that the 2448A7 adapter won't serve any purpose at that point (it won't
be listening for Insteon comms and/or doing anything to react/send/receive).

If you have a keypadlinc (8 buttons) and you want to program those buttons to turn on other Insteon devices, you can use PowerHome to setup/create
those links through the 2448A7. PowerHome will set the keypadlinc as a controller (for example button 1 turns on/off the kitchen light) and the
kitchen light as a responder. Half of that link will reside in the keypadlinc and the other half will reside in the Kitchen light. The PC can be
turned off at that point and those links will still exist and function independently. You would probably want to create the reverse link as well
where turning on/off the kitchen light will turn/off the light on the keypadlinc button 1. This is a separate (second link) where the kitchen light
is now the controller and the keypadlinc is the responder. Again, this second link would have two halves with one half in the kitchen light and the
other half in the keypadlinc.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

rrioja

Posted: March 31 2019 at 17:35 | IP Logged Quote rrioja

Dave,
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I knew everything you said, but I have not done any Insteon work in years and was doubting myself. Besides, your explanation was excellent. I just needed a refresher.

Thanks again,
Robert
Back to Top View rrioja's Profile Search for other posts by rrioja Visit rrioja's Homepage

vijhoni62

Posted: April 17 2019 at 05:10 | IP Logged Quote vijhoni62

I LOVE Insteon as a general rule. I have been using X10/Insteon in some form for nearly 20 years. However, this device is terrible.

First, do heed the other reviews regarding range. I was within 10 feet of 3 other dual-band Insteon devices, but the 2448A7 would barely connect. Let me revise that, because what I observed was even more strange... actually, the 2448A7 seemed to be able to connect to those nearby Insteon dual-mode devices quite well. However, and I know this sounds bizarre, it could ONLY connect to those devices. Now, I know that bridging is inherent to the Insteon protocol and retransmission between RF and powerline should have been handled automatically by the Insteon modules themselves. But this unit truly only seemed to be able to communicate with those items it could reach directly via RF. In fact, when I installed a long USB extension and moved the 2448A7 around the house, it could then "see" the more nearby modules it couldn't see before. Strange, I know, but I assure you this was the behavior I experienced!

I bought this to be an interface to the Indigo platform. To their credit, Indigo does acknowledge and control the 2448A7 right out of the box. I replaced it with the 2413U PowerLine USB interface and the difference is night and day. Near-instantaneous communications and programming with ALL of my Insteon devices, whether powerline, RF, or both. I also have a physical phase bridge installed on my breaker panel. So it's definitely the 2448A7 that is at fault.

Giving it two stars because it will actually transmit some signals. But it is slow, has limited range, and appears to have some difficulty with bridged/bridging between RF and power line. Your mileage may vary, but stay far, far away!!
Back to Top View vijhoni62's Profile Search for other posts by vijhoni62

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version