Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Remote Desktop Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gg102

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2020 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote gg102

Dave,

I use MS remote desktop to remotely control my PH system because it is located in a secure
place and hard to access (deliberately). While this works well, and I rarely need to
physically access the machine, there is one drawback that I now find annoying.

Using remote desktop, when you login remotely and eventually logout, the audio no longer
works. This is because Windows no longer has a user logged in and it doesn't know where to
route the audio, so it becomes disconnected. Well, now in my new home, this is a problem. I
want to solve this.

I believe you have a similar setup, but as I recall, you don't use remote desktop. Can you
please remind me what you use?

Thank you.
Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

gg,

Ive noticed this problem as well. When I boot the PowerHome machine, I login and everything works as expected. When I remotely administer it, I
use Remote Desktop (connecting as the same user that is running PowerHome) and when I disconnect, I just terminate the RDP session without
logging out (which Im sure is the same thing you do since PowerHome would stop).

However, I have the same problem with the machine being in a state and not having full access to the local resources. In my case, the Control
Center CCMAP functions no longer work because PowerHome is no longer associated with a display similar to how yours is no longer associated with
an audio device.

The only way Ive found around this is that I also run a VNC server on the PH machine (and Teamviewer and Anydesk) and after I terminate an RDP
session, I connect via one of the other programs, login (this gets me back the audio and video), and then just disconnect. It would probably be
easier for me to just initiate all remote control using one of these other programs but they just arent as responsive as RDP so I do the "work"
in RDP and the "cleanup" in one of the others.

If you do figure out something better, please let me know

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

gg,

Of the 3 "other" options for RDP (Teamviewer, Anydesk, VNC), I find AnyDesk to probably be the best solution. It's free for
personal use and works well including a client for Android.

I used to use Teamviewer having creating an account MANY years ago but recently they've become difficult to work with as they
constantly send notices suspecting you of commercial use and requiring you to reply and justify why you have so many machines
and it's not commercial. In the house in the US, I have probably 8 servers...PowerHome, Blue Iris, Backup server, DNS server,
Virtual machine server, etc. and 3 different machines that I just use around the house. I also have servers at my house in Korea
though not as many so I guess I can see how they might suspect commercial usage.

VNC is great because it's open source but it has the worse latency of the 3.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

gg102

Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:41 | IP Logged Quote gg102

Hmmmm,

Yeah, RDP leaves the audio in an orphaned state when you logout from the remote session. It doesn't
matter if you bring the audio to the remote session or leave it at the machine. The only solution is to
login locally.

I used to use PC-Anywhere, but I stopped using that years ago when the company was acquired by a company
I didn't trust. They have since changed hands several more times. I think they are part of LifeLock now.

I know there's "Go to my PC" but again, I don't trust any external server based program.

I'll check out your suggestions.

I wonder if there's a way to launch a .BAT that would login locally. Hmmmm.....

Thanks,

gg102

Posted: May 15 2020 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote gg102

Hi Dave,

Here's an update.

I tried AnyDesk and I will report that I will continue to use it from now on. Yes, it's not as
responsive as RDP, and I can crash it with simple and invalid procedures, but it's quite
sufficient if you play by the rules! (Me, play by the rules? Where's the fun in that?)

It does function differently from RDP. Using RDP, it terminates the session of the local user,
and starts a new login session. When you logout, no one is logged in anymore, thus some resources
become orphaned.

With AnyDesk, it retains the local session and only duplicates the display and other resources to
the remote user. When you terminate the remote session, the local session remains logged in.
Thus, local resources remain attached to the local session. I'm good with this.

Once again Dave, you have a great solution!

Thank you.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version