Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: How BRIGHT/DIM Individual LEDs on 2486Dxx Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kkomara

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 13 2020 at 07:45 | IP Logged Quote kkomara

I have a 6/8 Button 2486Dxx Controller. I would like to be able to control the BRIGHT/DIM on each button via a macro. Can's seem to figure out how to control each one individually. I know each button is assigned to a GROUP (1-8 in 8 Button Mode, and 1,3-6 in 6 Button Mode). So for example I would like to make button 5 go from DIM to BRIGHT. How do I send that command from PH ?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 16 2020 at 22:58 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Kevin,

Unfortunately, there is no way (that Im aware of) to individual control the brightness of individual button LED's. The only setting that Im aware of is a
global LED setting that is applied to button LED's.

Now if what you're interested in is controlling the individual On/Off status (vs dim/bright) of button LED's, that is something that can be done.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

kkomara

Posted: December 17 2020 at 10:01 | IP Logged Quote kkomara

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the response man !! Glad you are back !!

Yes - I am looking to turn ON/OFF the individual button LED's of actually the 2334-232 (OFFICE_CONTROLLER) that I upgraded to. My USB PLM (PLMCTLR1) is a controller of the 2334. So as a kluge - I mapped the PLM to groups 11 to 18 in the 2334. Groups 11 to 18 are mapped to buttons 1 to 8 in the 2334. So for an example when my PLM sends out a Broadcast "Group 11 ON" -> 2334 Button 1 LED turns ON. Broadcast "Group 11 OFF" -> 2334 Button 1 LED turns OFF. Broadcast "Group 18 ON" -> 2334 Button 8 LED turns ON.   Broadcast "Group 18 OFF" -> 2334 Button 8 LED turns OFF. I had to use Insteon Groups 11 to 18 so I did not mess with the rest of my Insteon devices. Lots of work - but success. Hopefully you can find and easier way. If I could send a GROUP ON or OFF to a specific Insteon device (vs a group broadcast) would be helpful. BTW - my Ubuntu Wine install is fully upgraded to 2.2b 3-3 with latest patch !!! It is AWESOME to be fully up-to-date !!! Jumped 11+ years !! Woo Hoo !!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 20 2020 at 18:08 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Kevin,

Turning the individual button LED's (vs dimming them) is definitely doable. Unfortunately, what you call a kluge is the correct way to go about it. You
typically need to dedicate 8 of the PLM's 255 available groups if you want to control individual buttons. However there is a trick. Normally, you would need to
dedicate 8 groups per KPL. If you had 3 KPL's, you would need to dedicate 24 total groups. Not a good thing and you would run out pretty quick.

This is because a group broadcast is never to a specific device. When a group broadcast (from the PLM) is sent, it goes to ALL devices and any device that is
set to respond to that group number will be controlled, hence the need to use separate groups for each device.

The trick here is to not try and control using a group broadcast command but instead use a group cleanup command. This is a direct command sent to an individual
device. By doing this, you can setup your 8 groups (in your case 11 thru 18) on ALL KPL's and then send a group cleanup command to the particular device you
want to control.

The command to turn on button 1 (group 11) of a KPL with an ID of OFFICE_CONTROLLER would look like this:

ph_insteongroupcu(11,'OFFICE_CONTROLLER',ion)

Sorry there isnt an easier way, thats just the nature of Insteon but at least this will allow you to reuse the same 8 groups for every button controller and
allow you to individually address them.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

kkomara

Posted: January 01 2021 at 12:48 | IP Logged Quote kkomara

Happy New Year Dave !!!
Your procedure works PERFECT !! I can now DIRECTLY turn ON/OFF the LED's on my 2486 !!! Much better than the Group Broadcast I was originally doing !!
Thanks Man !!
Kevin K.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version