Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: PH STATUS sync with 6/8 Button 2334 CNTRL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kkomara

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 26 2020 at 10:41 | IP Logged Quote kkomara

All,
I have a new 6/8 Button 2334-232 Keypad Dimmer Switch setup for 6 button Mode. My goal is to have the LED state of the ON/OFF Buttons, and BUTTONS A/B/C/D be in sync with PH Device Status. I thought this should be automatic - but for me it is not. I am sure I MUST be doing something wrong.

Here is my Setup:

ON/OFF Buttons (GROUP 1) Bidirectionally Linked to OFFICE_DESK_LAMP
BUTTON A (GROUP 3) Bidirectionally linked to OFFICE_LAMP_1
BUTTON B (GROUP 4) Bidirectionally linked to OFFICE_LAMP_2
BUTTON C (GROUP 5) Bidirectionally linked to OFFICE_MAIN_LIGHTS
BUTTON D (GROUP 6) Bidirectionally linked to OFFICE_FIREPLACE

I also have OFFICE_DESK_LAMP, OFFICE_LAMP1, OFFICE_LAMP2, OFFICE_MAIN_LIGHTS, OFFICE_FIREPLACE Bidirectionally linked to my PH via INSTEON USB PowerLinc USB Controller.

Controlling Office Devices FROM KEYPAD

Here is what Happens:

Initial Condition: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP_OFF, Keypad ON BUTTON LED OFF, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED ON, PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = OFF

On Keypad: Press ON Button - OFFICE_DESK_LAMP Comes ON.
Keypad ON BUTTON LED turns ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED turns OFF.

On PH STATUS: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP still shows OFF.

Conversely…
Initial Condition: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP_ON, Keypad ON BUTTON LED ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED OFF, PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = ON

On Keypad: Press OFF Button - OFFICE_DESK_LAMP goes OFF.
Keypad ON BUTTON LED turns OFF, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED turns ON.

On PH STATUS: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP still shows ON.

Controlling Office Devices FROM POWERHOME

Here is what Happens:

Initial Condition: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP_OFF, Keypad ON BUTTON LED OFF, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED ON, PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = OFF

In PH Device Status: Toggle OFFICE_DESK_LAMP to ON - OFFICE_DESK_LAMP Comes ON.

PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP= ON.

Keypad ON BUTTON LED STILL OFF, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED STAYS ON.

Conversely…
Initial Condition: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP_ON, Keypad ON BUTTON LED ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED OFF, PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = ON

In PH Device Status: Toggle OFFICE_DESK_LAMP to OFF - OFFICE_DESK_LAMP goes OFF.

PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = OFF

Keypad ON BUTTON LED STAYS ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED stays OFF.

Controlling Office Device from LOCAL UNIT

Here is what Happens:

ON LOCAL OFFICE_DESK_LAMP UNIT Unit press UP Button:

OFFICE_DESK_LAMP turns OFF.

PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP= ON.

Keypad ON BUTTON LED TURN ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED TURNS OFF.

Conversely…
Initial Condition: OFFICE_DESK_LAMP_ON, Keypad ON BUTTON LED ON, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED OFF, , PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = ON

ON LOCAL OFFICE_DESK_LAMP Unit press DOWN Button:

OFFICE_DESK_LAMP TURNS OFF.

PH STATUS shows OFFICE_DESK_LAMP = OFF

Keypad ON BUTTON LED TURNS OFF, Keypad OFF BUTTON LED TURN ON.

SO the ONLY case that works is when I control the UNIT FROM THE UNIT !!! If I control the UNIT with the Controller, PH does not show the correct status, and if I control the unit with PH, the Controller LEDs do not update.

Can I somehow keep everything in SYNC ???

I have a bunch of elaborate TRIGGERS setup to TRY to keep everything in sync, but it is VERY unreliable - and VERY VERY MESSY - MUST be an easier way ??

Thanks,
Kevin K.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 04 2021 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Kevin,

This is one of the drawbacks with Insteon and it's protocol and no real good way to compensate for it.

In addition to the links you've already got (each KPL bi-linked to their respective lamps and the respective lamps linked to the
PLM (at least as a responder even though you say bi-linked), you also need to link each KPL button to the PLM with the buttons
as a controller and the PLM as a responder.

When you press a KPL button, it will broadcast a group command and then send a group cleanup (until another Insteon transmission
interrupts) to each device linked as a responder. Without having the PLM as a responder, a group cleanup command will not be
sent to it and so may not update the status of the lamp.

In your first test scenario (controlling office devices from KPL), the problem is that PowerHome is not updating the appropriate
status of the Office device within PowerHome. The first thing to check is the PowerHome log and see if it registered an incoming
Insteon command (should be an incoming group command from the KPL). If you're not getting that in your log, then PowerHome is
not seeing this command so will not be updating any status (the link from the KPL to the PLM should help with this). If you are
seeing the group in command, then verify that PowerHome is aware of the link between the KPL and the office device (Insteon
Explorer->Links). Even if the link exists (as evidenced by the office device turning on), if PowerHome is not aware of the link,
it won't make any status updates.

Concerning your second test scenario (controlling office devices from PowerHome). When controlling a device within PowerHome,
this is done via a direct command which is sent only to the controlled device so the KPL will not be updated. There are two ways
to keep this in sync. One way would be to control the device (and the KPL button) via a PLM group. You would need to create a
PLM group with the PLM as a controller and the office device and KPL button as responders. Controlling this group (rather than
the device itself) will send a group broadcast command which should trigger both the KPL and office devices to update
appropriately.

The second way is to stick with controlling the lamp direct but creating an Insteon Direct Out trigger on the office device and
then using the group cleanup trick to update the KPL button. Another way would be to use the Insteon Device Chg trigger on the
office device and use that to keep the KPL button in sync. This would probably take the least amount of effort.

In your third scenario (controlling at the unit), everything is working properly due to having a controller link in the office
device to both the KPL and PowerHome so everything stays synchronized.

To sum, you should be able to fix your first test scenario by ensuring that you create a link from each KPL button to the PLM so
PowerHome will be aware of the change. The second test scenario is the pain though. You either need to create groups in
PowerHome (and control from the group) or create a trigger to keep the KPL button in sync (you'll need to create a group for
each KPL button and then use the group cleanup command to update just that 1 button).

Let me know if I missed anything or something I said doesnt make sense.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version