Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Hardware
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Hardware
Subject Topic: Insteon siren Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Handman

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 27 2021 at 14:19 | IP Logged Quote Handman

Any ideas for best way to define this Insteon device in PowerHome?   Insteon Siren 2868-222 DevCat 7 Subcat 30

I'd like to set it up to chime (it has a chime and siren offering) when an I/O Linc (Insteon 2450) sense is triggered.
Back to Top View Handman's Profile Search for other posts by Handman

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 29 2021 at 17:33 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Handman,

I don't actually have one of these devices but the easiest way to get an initial configuration would be to use Auto Discovery in the Insteon
Explorer. This should automatically create an Insteon device type for Devcat 7/Subcat 30 (if a matching entry doesnt already exist) along with an
Insteon device.

The online manual that I could find (couldnt find any developer notes) indicates that you can do configuration and setup using the manual tap-tap
method. I would do this for at least 1 device as the trigger and 1 device as the arm/disarm. Once those manual links are created, in Insteon
Explorer on the Devices tab, place a check in the "Scan DB" column and save. This will force PowerHome to scan the Siren link database and pull the
info into PowerHome. You should be able to see on the Links tab how the arm/disarm and triggering devices are created so you can programmatically
do the rest.

As far as the Insteon Device type, the auto entry that is created will be a bare minimum entry that should allow the device to work but possibly
won't enable all functionality. You'll have the Devcat and Subcat populated, the Mem Top should be set to 4096 and the DB Type will be Linear. The
Mem Top may need to be adjusted lower since I did see in the manual that it supports only 24 links but I would start with 4096. Controller and
Responder groups will each be 1 which may need to be modified after you've scanned the links you manually create.

For devices that arm/disarm or trigger the siren, they should show in the Controllers section on the Links tab for the Siren. Pay attention to the
"Button" value for these links. You'll need to set the Responder Groups column (on the Insteon Types tab) from 1 to the max number you see in this
column for the controller links to this device.

For devices that may be responders of the Siren, their links should show in the Responders section on the Links tab. In this case, you want to make
note of the highest value in the "Group" column and adjust the Controller Groups column (Insteon Types tab) to the max value you see. You can
always make the resp and ctrl groups higher (up to 255) but it would allow you to possibly create links that arent actually possible. What these
two columns do is limit the values that you can use to programmatically create links for this device.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

Handman

Posted: July 30 2021 at 18:44 | IP Logged Quote Handman

Thanks Dave,

I was able to define the siren/chime and am able to use it for what I need. I played around with some Insteon commands to the unit and discovered it chimes on with a "Fast On" command and off with a "Fast off" command. Right now I just have my PLM send a command to activate it when a group broadcast is received from the IO Linc 2450, and that's pretty much all I'm looking for. The unit also has a siren function which I could set up with arm and disarm, but I can't get it to slew between the two tones without pushing the set button - seems like you have to pick one sound. Smarthome expects most to set up the device with their app and the hub (both of which I don't have - or want).

Thanks again for your reply and suggestions!
Back to Top View Handman's Profile Search for other posts by Handman

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version