Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Smarthome/Insteon is, well, gone. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2022 at 23:42 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Jeff,

I guess I really shouldnt say expensive because like you mentioned, Insteon had been steadily going up in price. A Lutron Caseta dimmer switch can be had on Amazon
for $59.95 so really not that bad for what it brings. Looking at it, Im really wanting to get the support for that going.

Typical Z-Wave switches seem to range from $30 to $60. The trick is being able to find the ones that send a Z-Wave signal when they are locally switched so polling
isnt necessary (just like Insteon switches).

A Kasa dimmer can be had for $18.00 and a Wemo dimmer runs about $35.00 (they've gone up).

A set of 4 (yes 4) Tuya switches from TreatLife can be had $63.00. Taking these and reprogramming them with Tasmota is definitely attractive pricewise.

Currently, PowerHome has basic MQTT support so can support Tasmota firmware switches but the support can be better. Going forward, I would definitely like to
support Z-Wave using the Open Z-Wave libraries. I doubt Z-Wave will fade away and will probably be around for quite awhile. Definitely going to support the Lutron
Caseta products as they arent quite as expensive as I originally thought, the hardware feels quality, and they have an open protocol that supports 2-way
communication. I plan to make a Tasmota specific controller (rather than just the generic MQTT controller) for controlling Tuya devices with Tasmota firmware. This
is another open standard communication protocol that has great potential. I will also add support for plain Tuya switches using their new open API for
communication (rather than undocumented Home Assistant interface PowerHome is currently using)for the people who arent concerned about cloud control and looking to
get into automation on the very cheap.

Wemo and Kasa will still be supported but probably won't have much future development since neither of them have an open communication protocol and the current
support for both of them have only been achieved by sniffing the protocol they protocol they're using. Since these devices phone home, they could potentially have
their firmware upgraded by the mother ship such that they change the protocol so local control would no longer be available.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 02 2022 at 23:45 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

I'll definitely work the fixes for the Elk Arm State/Arm Status/Alarm State triggers into the next fix which I hope to have shortly. I'll also look into the
multi-state trigger issue with zones. I believe both of these are fairly simple to fix so shouldnt be an issue.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 03 2022 at 07:22 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Dave - that helps a lot - but don't spread yourself too thin! :-) Good
support for one of these protocols that you like and has a good set of
equivalents for Insteon basic building-block modules like switches,
plug-in modules, window/door sensors, keypads, motion sensors, and
IO Linc, would be awesome.

Many Thanks for all you do!

/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 20 2022 at 19:04 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

All,

Just wanted to give a quick update to everyone. I have found and fixed the Elk Alarm State, Arm State, Arm Status, and Multi-state Input triggers. All seems to be
working well on that front. Still have to work on the Insteon Get Devices that is performed on startup.

On another note, since my previous post earlier about possible recommendations of where to go after Insteon, Im very excited by a (new to me) Home Automation
technology from Shelly (https://shelly.cloud).

I now have a number of these devices and have been testing them out and Im really liking them more and more. They're a bit different from most other smarthome
technologies and I thought originally it might be an issue but see how it can really be a benefit. For example, instead of replacing an entire light switch with an
Insteon or ZWave dimmer, you can use your original switch and just make it smart with a Shelly dimmer 2 module. The original switch still works but you also have
full automation control. Even if you turn the switch off, you can still control via automation. They've got alot of setup options including linking directly to other
shelly devices (or even completely different devices) in the actions section of the setup. They can be used with the cloud, they can be directly controlled via HTTP,
or my favorite, monitored and controlled via MQTT which PowerHome now supports. They started out in Europe but are starting to hit it big in the US with some
dedicated US devices coming soon. They work from 110 to 240v so I can use the same tech in both the US and Korea. Anyways, just thought some people might want to
look into it. Innovative Home Systems (https://innovativehomesys.com/), as well as others, have these devices available.

Biggest problem I see is that there is no real replacement for a KPL but they do have a 4 input controller. The hardest thing Im trying to decide on is wall mount
push button switches that fit in place of a standard switch. It's easy to find 4 button rocker switches but in order to get that "scene control", push button will
work better (shelly actually supports either. They can be setup to support a momentary on....push on, push off...or a standard rocker switch.

I have found momentary rocker switches (typically used for garbage disposals) so these would work well for a single button type switch or you can pair with a rocker
switch for your traditional lighting control.

Anyways, if anyone has any info on multi button momentary push button switches designed to fit where a standard US switch fits, let me know.

Dave.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 20 2022 at 19:08 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Thanks Dave!

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 21 2022 at 18:29 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I was playing with their RGBW2 for a bit until I found lower-cost options.

Why that distributor vs Shelly direct?
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 21 2022 at 19:04 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

if anyone has any info on multi button momentary push button switches designed to fit where a standard US switch fits, let me know.

How many? Looks like the Shelly handles two. Maybe I can put one together if they don't exist.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 21 2022 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Hi Dave - The Shelly site looks pretty cool - but I wonder if you want to
put all your eggs into a single-manufacturer protocol again :-( I don't
want to tax you with having to support too many things. I admint I
don't know even 1/10th about the business as you do, but from 10,000
ft it maybe seems like a good time to focus on the protocol(s) that
have the most support? (Especially as it looks like we're headed into a
cyclic recession that may shake out any weaker performers...). Just a
thought. You lead, I follow :-)

/j

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 23 2022 at 00:39 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Jeff,

Definitely won't put all my eggs in one basket and will continue to support as many mainstream products as I can .

Ive just become really enamored with anything that uses MQTT as it's a really elegant protocol. It's pretty easy to support (Insteon was a NIGHTMARE) and
pretty robust. For those who like to tinker with arduino and ESP8266, it opens up the possibility of creating any kind of device you want.

I still havent decided on what I want to switch my house over to...just know that I intend to rip out all my Insteon and move to something that
automatically reports status and doesnt require querying to know if it's been locally controlled. Z-Wave, UPB, Lutron Caseta, and MQTT seems to be the
ones that cover that requirement.

Dave.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 23 2022 at 00:42 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Concerning the distributor...just one Im familiar with because they are now the only brick and mortar store that sells PowerHome since
SmartHome is now defunct. I know Shelly is also available on Amazon as well as direct .

Dave.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 23 2022 at 00:44 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Shelly does have a 4 input device that allows for scene control (something I could use to replace my keypadlincs). It allows for up to 3
actions per button (I believe) so a 4 button push button type switch (Shelly sells one but I don't believe it fits US boxes) would be
awesome.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 23 2022 at 09:37 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Was this a known option?

Hubbel

Edited by TonyNo - May 23 2022 at 09:39

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 09 2022 at 13:01 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Stacey on IoT: Users report
Insteon’s servers are back
online.
https://staceyoniot.com/users-
report-insteons-servers-are-
back-online/

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 09 2022 at 13:11 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

and the mystery continues - thanks Tony!

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 11 2022 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Woo Hoo!

It appears that SmartHome may be rising from the dead,
and has been purchased by a group of staff and customers!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/insteon-
smart-homes-resurrected-as-abruptly-as-they-were-
bricked/

Keep your fingers crossed, as there is no one else with
the KPL switches and other neat switches that Insteon
made.

Here's hoping.

Edited by GadgetGuy - June 25 2022 at 09:42

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 11 2022 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

It's a step in the right direction.   I always had the impression that
Insteon had a very large installed commercial base (i.e., hundreds of
Insteon-run smart buildings). I know that was their target market. If
they were successful (anyone know), there should be sufficient
demand to turn on manufacturing again (albeit at higher prices).

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 11 2022 at 08:50 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

A higher price makes sense if it keeps them in business
and certainly should not be as high as current eBay
Insteon prices!!!!

I have so many KPL switches in our 35-year-old home to
make the place liveable. Every big room only had a
single light switch despite up to 4 different entry doors