Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: PowerHome Alpha Available Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2008 at 22:30 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

All,

A new ALPHA version of PowerHome is available. This version is a TEST ONLY version that is compiled in PowerBuilder 10.5. As mentioned previously, version 10.5 of PowerBuilder is a stepping stone to the next beta release of PowerHome which will be in PowerBuilder version 11.1 or 11.2. This alpha is UNICODE and required a TON of changes in order to successfully upgrade. Since so many changes have taken place, I need to verify that I did completely (and correctly) upgrade from ansi to unicode throughout the code.

This alph WILL NOT run on Windows 98 SE or earlier. You must have NT, 2000, XP, or Vista in order to test this version of PowerHome as well as future versions of PowerHome.

The alpha also includes support for the INSTEON PLM. I know many of you have been waiting for this so definately test it out. It took quite a bit of doing to reproduce all features currently in the PLC but I believe it is worth it as the PLM is definately MUCH faster and more robust than the PLC/SDM combination.

The instructions for installing and testing this alpha are as follows:

1. Shutdown version 1.03.4.12 of PowerHome. You MUST already have a functional install of PowerHome 1.03.4.12 in order to test the alpha.

2. Make a copy of your entire PowerHome directory (default located at c:\program files\powerhome). This copy is your working backup of your current 1.03.4.12 install. When done, you should have two PowerHome directories that looks something like:

c:\program files\powerhome
c:\program files\copy of powerhome

3. Download the alpha file from here: http://www.power-home.info/phalpha8.zip

4. Unzip the alpha file into the main PowerHome directory (default c:\program files\powerhome...not the copied directory). Overwrite ANY files that currently exist.

5. In the main PowerHome directory, edit the phscr.reg file towards the end to adjust the directory if you don't have PowerHome installed in the default location. If PowerHome is installed in the default location, then no edit is necessary.

6. Right-click the phscr.reg file and select "Merge" from the pop-up menu.

7. You should now be able to launch PowerHome. This version still shows 1.03.4.12 and requires no database changes. With any luck, it will appear exactly like beta 1.03.4.12 except for some icon differences in the toolbars and such.

Keep in mind the main purpose of this alpha is to verify *existing* functionality still works exactly like it did in beta 1.03.4.12. While you may come across some of the new features, the only other *new* functionality to test would be PLM support.

Feed back I would like:

1. Does it work for you?
2. Is it faster, slower, the same?
3. Does all of your previous macros, formulas, script, and functions perform as they did previously.
4. Do all of your controllers still work. Please list which controllers you actually test and verify to work.

Let the testing begin .

Thanks,

Dave.

*************EDIT...Extra details for Alpha 7 and Alpha 8.

To make full use of the new phalpha7, unzip all of the files into the PowerHome directory, overwriting existing files. Move the ph10396.db file into the database directory. Unzip the asa7_703.zip file into the Windows System32 directory. It should overwrite the existing ASA 7 files. Before executing the new alpha, run the phupg.exe utility and rebuild your database.

The asa7_703.zip file contains the Adaptive Server Anywhere runtime database server, version 7.03, which replaces the 7.02 in PH version 1.03.4.12. This new version is completely compatible with 1.03.4.12 so no problems there. This version of ASA fixes the bug in 7.02 which causes the database server to hang on CC actions containing the two consecutive double quotes.

The ph10396 is a new blank database containing the updated view to solve the webserver main problem where certain datatypes would cause PowerHome to crash. Rebuilding your database using phupg.exe will copy your data into this new database file.

*************EDIT...Extra details for Alpha 8.

Since the alpha has been relatively stable, Ive started applying the beta changes so we may have some wierdness if you are using the ph_runscript? functions. These functions have all been modified to require fewer parameters and will actually return the results of the returned function formatted as a string.

So, ALL ph_runscript?? functions now return a string rather than an integer and only take 3 parameters plus the number of parameters that you're submitting for the script function. The first parameter is the timeout, the second parameter is the filename, and the third parameter is the function or sub name within the file.

Phalpha8.zip should have fixes for the internal Elk-Insteon utility and also has the ability to echo raw Insteon log changes to a file. Due to this, YOU MUST perform an extra step if you are using either the Insteon DM or Insteon PLM as a controller. The first thing to do upon launching PH is to open the PowerHome Explorer and navigate to the controllers screen. Bring up the "Settings" window for you PLC or PLM and either screenshot the settings or write them down. Close the settings window and change the controller type (in the dropdown) to some other value and back again to your PLC or PLM. Click the "Settings" button and set the values back to the settings you previously saved. You'll see two new parameters here. "Enable Pending Operations" and "Echo Log File". Set the "Echo Log File" to the full path and filename that you would like to log to. This is the file that raw Insteon logs will be written to (it's always in append mode). The "Enable Pending Operations" option allows you to suspend background activity by unchecking the box (just the same as if you've set the polling interval to 0...it's just easier).

Last, this alpha also has the new ph_formulabtn_s,_n,_d,_dt, and _t functions. They're just like the standard ph_formulabtn function except that they return the actual result of the formula formatted in the specified type (s for string, n for numeric, etc). They also do not execute any sendkeys.

Edited by dhoward - May 06 2008 at 21:52
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 10 2008 at 22:51 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Whoops! I was a little too hasty in my last message. Ive updated the download link to reflect a new file, phalpha2.zip. If you did happen to quicker than me and downloaded phalpha1.zip, please get the new file as it contains a couple of new files as well a critical piece of additional PLM functionality.

Additional Notes for the ALPHA...

The remote clients needed some updating to work with the new PowerHome executable. I did not get a chance yet to update the Remote Device Status client so Im pretty sure that it will NOT work with the alpha. Included in the phalpha2.zip file are new Remote Control Center client files (phremotecc.exe and phremotecc.pbd). Just copy these over your old Remote CC files as this new version should be compatible with both beta 1.03.4.12 and the new alpha.

The new alpha with PLM support is default set to NOT allow PLM's with firmware prior to 63 to connect. You MUST have PLM firmware 63 and above in order for PowerHome to work properly with the PLM. I apologize for this inconvenience, but the PLM did not become stable until 63. During my testing, I locked up (I think permanently) two earlier version PLM's (I'd have to check but it was something like a 47 and 52). If you feel REALLY adventurous and INSIST on testing a PLM with firmware earlier than 63, then I have provided a work-around. Open your pwrhome.ini file and add a new section [PLM]. Under this new [PLM] section, add the following parameter: pre63=1

With this parameter in your pwrhome.ini file, PowerHome will bypass the firmware check and allow you to fry,....er, test pre 63 firmware PLM's. If you do toast your pre 63 PLM, don't say you werent warned. In truth, it may not be THAT bad, because it did take a couple of hours to lock up and under heavy traffic, but based upon my research on the web and apparent problems with pre 63 firmware associated with the same above conditions, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck,

Dave.

Edited by dhoward - April 10 2008 at 22:53
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

ginigma

Posted: April 10 2008 at 23:58 | IP Logged Quote ginigma

Nice to see movement again! Thanks for the update.
Hopefully I'll have a chance to install/test early next week.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 11 2008 at 15:41 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

OK Dave.. ALPHA up and running.   

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 12 2008 at 11:09 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Dave, ALPHA seems to internally run faster. The only measurement I can quantify is when using ph_getinsteonlevelrt. This routine ran about an average of 23 seconds if the network was clean. Under ALPHA it is averaging 20 seconds. The macro executes about 6 or 7 get and set global operations plus 1 insteon get level in a loop until all devices are tested which is about 17. The only controller is a USB PLC. I have had zero glitches so far in my normal 24 hour cycle.

HTH
Pete

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 12 2008 at 11:30 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

ATL71.dll not found?
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 12 2008 at 11:51 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Tony, I have ATL71.DLL in sys32 dated 3/18/03 on my system. Part of Microsoft® Visual Studio .NET I believe.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:04 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Hmm. I thought I had that installed...
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:23 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Crap. .Net 2.0 install didn't fix.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:52 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Try this Tony

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/default.aspx?l=55&fid=1 71425

Updated link... after = should be 171425 the forum is inserting a blank

Edited by BeachBum - April 12 2008 at 15:37

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 12 2008 at 16:50 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

OK, found the DLL in another app's folder, copied it to win\sys, and I'm running.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 13 2008 at 00:09 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I'm seeing issues with serial comms. I have two USB/serial devices and one is throwing this...

An error occurred while processing the execution queue. Resetting execution queue and trying again.

Looking into it.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 13 2008 at 00:18 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Hmm. The one working is for my W800. The one not is my quad mux, which is just serial comms (no driver).

Edited by TonyNo - April 13 2008 at 00:19

GSOUZA
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 13 2008 at 05:41 | IP Logged Quote GSOUZA

Alpha Running.

everything working fine with PLM (firmware 52) :)

1 thing, how to use All lights off (old PLC group 254) with PLM? is it possible?

At insteon Explorer, in the PLC groups, i cant select PLM as a controller. its not showing in the dropdown.

cheers,

gsouza

Edited by GSOUZA - April 13 2008 at 06:36
Back to Top View GSOUZA's Profile Search for other posts by GSOUZA

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 13 2008 at 09:00 | IP Logged Quote nadler

Alpha running,
Same problems as Tony with RS-232. Qtemps temperature probes not running and AB8SS not working. I get the following error:
"An Error occurred while processing the execution queue...."

I don't have a PLM. This is with the PLC.

Unrelated, but this site is seeming very slow this morning.

Edited by nadler - April 13 2008 at 09:02
Back to Top View nadler's Profile Search for other posts by nadler

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 13 2008 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote nadler

Continuing testing...

Same error when trying to execute an IR command through USB-UIRT and then the error message:
"Infinite Loop Condition Dected on Macro! The recussion level has exceeded 30...."

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 13 2008 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

UIRT working here.

I just found that ph_setsysvol and the volume.exe helper app don't work.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 13 2008 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ok,

New version phalpha3.zip uploaded with fixes for the ph_com??? functions. Missed upgrading these to unicode. Link in first post has been updated.

Still investigating the USB-Uirt problems. Cant get it to fail on my system. Noel, can you give me a little more info on how you're sending the IR through the USB-Uirt?

Gsouza, the global all on/all off group for both the PLC and the PLM should be group number 255. I know what the problem is with the controller in the PLM groups and will fix it.

Tony, I'll check into the ph_setsysvol functions and the helper app. Will also do more research on these extra DLL's.

Thanks guys,

Dave.

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 13 2008 at 21:13 | IP Logged Quote nadler

Just loaded Alpha3. Same 2 error message altho the loop message takes a little longer to show itself.

As to the USB-UIRT, I reviewed my macros and noticed I had a call to the AB8SS each time, so perhaps there is no issue with the UIRt and it just the RS232.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 13 2008 at 22:07 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Just uploaded phalpha4.zip. This includes fixes for the Insteon controller not showing in the PLC groups tab and fixes for the system volume routines.

Tony, you'll have to remind about the volume.exe helper app. I havent used that one for quite some time.

Noel, glad to hear that the USB-Uirt is working. If you're still getting the Recursion messages followed by Execution Queue Reset, it may be best for you to email me your database so I can try to replicate.

Thanks,

Dave.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version