Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Bug Reports
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Bug Reports
Subject Topic: PowerHome crash Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jgreco

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 22 2009 at 08:28 | IP Logged Quote jgreco

New Powerhome user. I've been looking for something to provide a little intelligence for our mostly Insteon setup here. I've had some trouble with random crashes, and with Powerhome doing the "PowerBuilder Accessibility Error" upon start. Using a dedicated XP Pro SP3 with Powerhome 2.1b and a 2412S PLM, and UltraVNC for remote access. There are a few legacy X10 devices in our setup (none configured in PH) and maybe two dozen Insteon, all factory reset and then reconfigured through PH.

The UltraVNC thing appears to be a real problem, most of the PH crashing stopped if I would restart PH and then immediately disconnect. Not really ideal. However, this morning it was all frozen up, so I connected, and saw

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C:\Program Files\powerhome\pwrhome.exe

R6025
- pure virtual function call"

Any ideas what might have caused this?
Back to Top View jgreco's Profile Search for other posts by jgreco

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 22 2009 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstall of PH? I wonder if UltraVNC is stepping on some of the PH code. If you disconnect before the optional 2 reply messages and it appears to keep running you might try running without the messages, Setup – Preferences. Also if you get a message that gives an option to e-mail the results do it and Dave will respond in due time.

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 22 2009 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote smarty

VNC causes me some minor annoyances as well....see here:
link

jgreco

Posted: December 22 2009 at 09:38 | IP Logged Quote jgreco

I can try reinstalling it, but this is essentially a fresh install. UltraVNC is installed during the automated OS install, so it was there first... I used to run PH on a laptop with a USB serial adapter, for the Insteon Explorer functionality, and that had constant problems, which I thought were all due to the USB serial adapter. It got much better once reinstalled on a PC with a real serial port, but would still crash frequently. I wiped out the PH database and started over. It might have gotten better. I factory reset all the Insteon devices and configured them all exclusively from within PH/IE. It definitely was better than when I started. So then I loaded up a dedicated box. It's about the same.

It was up for several days when I didn't do anything to the box (i.e. no VNC). This morning, I attached to find out why it crashed (see above). Restarted. An hour or two later, not having disconnected VNC, it's dead again.

It's so frustrating to have something as intriguing as PH and not be able to rely on it.

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

On the serial adapter issue I use a powered USB to Serial adapter and have no problem running 20’ to the PLM. I understand the frustration level thing. Most of my hairs are gone from fighting software issues over the years. I guess the issue is why PH and UltraVNC do not want to coexist. Dave and others have VNCed into PH without problems so I don’t think it is a VNC thing. Hopefully Dave is reading this thread and might chime in.

jgreco

Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:17 | IP Logged Quote jgreco

smarty wrote:
VNC causes me some minor annoyances as well....see here:
link

Yeah, I had seen that. In my case, that happens 100% of the time upon startup. I might not care as much if PH would stay running thereafter...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version