Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: When is the next upgrade? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 22 2010 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

I know you weren’t a marketing guy but that makes sense. If PH is an income generating project rather than a hobby then he will have to change his approach. But if this is a more of a fun project then I would only support core devices. Just my 2 cents worth…

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 22 2010 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

I was going to be posting this in about a week but I know a status update is long overdue and the natives are getting restless .

As some of you already know, most of my spare time has been consumed dealing with a critically ill family member which has severely limited my PowerHome development time for the past few months. At that time, I really had only the Control Center rewrite left (which has turned out to be one of the most difficult chores...leave it to me to save the best for last). During the past few months though, the time I did have available, I spent rewriting the Control Center a total of 5 times (sometimes OCD and striving for perfection are NOT a good thing). However, this fifth time around, things are looking good and Im happy with the way the code is turning out. Ive still got a way to go though (the PowerHome Explorer code and logic is nearly complete...now Ive got to start the visual design rewrite).

Now the good news...my family obligations are nearly complete (all is finally going well with the family member if you're wondering) and I will have nearly all of my free (PowerHome) time back in about a week. I cant venture a guess on when the next version will actually be available (as almost ALL of you know, my guesses suck ), but rest assurred, development will be picking back up full steam so I hope it won't be long.

I'll also be able to have more time available to spend on the forum so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask (call me out by name if you like) and I'll try to get back to the level of support I previously provided.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: July 22 2010 at 20:04 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Glad to hear your family member is doing better. Thanks for the update!
Back to Top View sjvonstein's Profile Search for other posts by sjvonstein

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 22 2010 at 20:18 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Hi Dave - take your time. Glad your family situation resolved favorably, and OCD is good with a mission-critical app. 8-}   Don't let the few noisy impatient minority bother you, the rest of us will be here when it's ready.

/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 22 2010 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote grif091

As I have said to another author on this forum, when you sell it, it ain't a hobby. InHomeFree is a hobby. Nice product, well supported and FREE. PH2 is a good product, very well supported and SOLD. I am very sorry to hear about the health issues with the family and glad to hear things are resolving in a good manor.

For those that consider me part of the noisy impatient minority, sorry about that. When I pay for something I have expectations. When a great product sits stationary while the world is evolving away from it I don't think it noise to express an opinion about that.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 22 2010 at 23:00 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Dave, glad all seems well!
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 22 2010 at 23:08 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

krommetje
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 23 2010 at 01:43 | IP Logged Quote krommetje

Dave just take all the time you need and don't rush it.
I'd rather wait for the update: Family comes first.

In regards to the update: I'd rather wait, knowing you had all the attention in programming instead of your thoughts with your familiy and a buggy update....

cheerio from a hot Netherlands (95 degrees: the swimmingpool in the garden is a good place to be....)
Back to Top View krommetje's Profile Search for other posts by krommetje Visit krommetje's Homepage

syonker

Posted: July 23 2010 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote syonker

Yes Dave - I figured when you went dark for a while there had to be a pretty good reason. Let us know if you need any help with beta testing, interface requirements, or dev.

Regards,

-Spencer Yonker

><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>¸.

·´¯`·.¸. , . ><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Back to Top View syonker's Profile Search for other posts by syonker Visit syonker's Homepage

tbeckman

Posted: September 28 2010 at 00:28 | IP Logged Quote tbeckman

OK... any news on the next upgrade.. thanks.
Back to Top View tbeckman's Profile Search for other posts by tbeckman

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 29 2010 at 14:44 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Its moving...slowly, but moving. I havent thrown out the CC code that Ive been working on so that is definitely a good sign. I bit off a bigger chunk than I should have and am now paying the price.

I'll definitely post a message when I reach a milestone and start working the next phase (that would be the database upgrade util since the CC is the last major feature).

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Any news? ;)
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

BrettP

Posted: November 27 2010 at 23:05 | IP Logged Quote BrettP

?????

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 30 2010 at 20:26 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Its moving..slow though . Ive got to stop adding enhancements. The last one I just finished was to add the support for the Global Cache serial ports. I had already done this by rewriting a number of the controllers to allow either a serial connection or socket connection. However, this would have eliminated plugins or the other controllers that I did not yet convert to socket connections from working (the socket/serial port methodology was also clumsy). I rolled all of that code back and instead created a plugin that creates a virtual COM port and redirects all incoming/outgoing data to a socket. Much cleaner with the added benefit of allowing any plugin or controller (serial interface) to be connected to the Global Cache..even serial devices that may not even be controlled/accessed via PowerHome.

Anyways, since this is taking much longer than I expected, is it better for me to create an interim version sans Control Center or plug along and release when the new CC is done?

Dave.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: November 30 2010 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Take your time, ignore the pressure, do it right. One of the best virtues of your software is it's rock-solidness. Don't compromise it!
/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: November 30 2010 at 22:13 | IP Logged Quote grif091

I know different folks have different functions/features they are looking for in the next PH2 update. Extended command support is a must. There is so much device linking and configuration that is now dependent on Extended commands that capability has to be an essential part of the base PH2. Every device update in the last year or so has added Extended commands to provide device configuration and linking so that all the past memory mapping issues will no longer exist when configuration is moved to Extended commands.

If it takes 6 more months to get Extended command support, that is what it takes.

Edited by grif091 - November 30 2010 at 22:14

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: November 30 2010 at 22:39 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

MrGibbage
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 01 2010 at 20:14 | IP Logged Quote MrGibbage

For me, I really don't use the control center that much, so if you are looking for votes, I'd say put that part
of the upgrade on the back burner. I would like to get the extended insteon commands though.

sarcophage

Posted: December 06 2010 at 07:40 | IP Logged Quote sarcophage

I've got to second the "interim" release.

It sounds like the CC is just a huge feature - we've
already waited a year for the other pieces which are (as
far as i can tell) substantially complete... There may be
some bugs which are found as a result of this release as
well, and those would obviously need to be addressed...
Back to Top View sarcophage's Profile Search for other posts by sarcophage

Ktulu

Posted: December 09 2010 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote Ktulu

While I agree with jeffw_00 about quality, I vote for interim release. Powerhome needs extended command support.

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
Back to Top View Ktulu's Profile Search for other posts by Ktulu

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version