Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Feature Requests
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Feature Requests
Subject Topic: Trigger Execution Order Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Viper
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2010 at 15:26 | IP Logged Quote Viper

Requirement: I would like to be able to define the order of trigger execution when I have multiple triggers for a single trigger event.

Priority: Low

Current work around: I know it is possible to do this by manipulating the trigger ID for each trigger so the alphabetic order of the trigger ID defines the order of execution, but this causes me to create trigger IDs that are less meaningful and hard to find when looking for a trigger.

Possible solution: A "Priority" value for each trigger that defines the order of execution when multiple triggers exists for a trigger event. Internally, this could be prepended to the Trigger ID to create the key for determining the order.

Other things to consider: The order of execution when a single "device event" causes multiple "trigger events" (group in and device change).

Just some thoughts as I get more triggers with IDs like "A-xxxx" and "Z-xxxx".

Tom
Back to Top View Viper's Profile Search for other posts by Viper

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 14 2010 at 15:55 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Why not have multiple macros within a trigger? That way you can order the execution. Or am I missing something here…

Viper
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 14 2010 at 16:28 | IP Logged Quote Viper

I'm using multiple motion sensors, dark/light sensors, and control buttons to enable and disable triggers. I have found the performance of this to be better than changing global variables and checking them in macros.

It also allows me to have multiple scenarios going each with their own set of triggers and macros without putting all those things into a single macro.

Lastly, I'm doing more and more single statement triggers that never even load a macro for even better performance.

So, since I was essentially forced to enable/disable triggers due to the battery operated devices blasting in two evenets, I have taken advantage of interrupt or event driven programming to actually simplify a lot of nasty macros I used to have and get better response times.

I hope that all made sense....

Tom

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 14 2010 at 16:39 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Tom, you’re right on. I have the same scenario and am also executing in the Boolean instead of macros.

Viper
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote Viper

I do a lot of "internal" processing in the boolean field, but anything that sends a command to a device, I put in the action field so PH can queue it properly. I've also learned to create PLM Groups (even for single devices) instead direct device commands because the battery operated devices don't seem to play nice and I need PH to occasionally send the Group Cleanups when collisions occur. Of course, this is because I'm now getting such fast response on the triggers that PH is sending out the commands before or at the same time as the second event from the triggering device.

I'm loving it!

Tom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version