Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Just Starting out with Motion Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
benjaminkeith

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 15 2011 at 23:37 | IP Logged Quote benjaminkeith

I am looking to create a network of motion sensors in my house that would trigger lights when I walk into a certain area. Also I would like the level of light to be determined by the time of day.

I.E. if I walk into the hall at 5pm the lights would be turn on to 100% but if I walk down the same hall at 2am the lights would turn on to 30%. Is this possible with power home?

Also, I know that I would need to have all the switches controllable, I was thinking insteon switches for this. But what kind of motion sensors would you recommend? I would like to have something that would be wired in so that I would not have to change batteries and I guest it would be more reliable. Any thoughts would be very helpful

Thanks.

Edited by benjaminkeith - January 15 2011 at 23:38
Back to Top View benjaminkeith's Profile Search for other posts by benjaminkeith

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 16 2011 at 01:22 | IP Logged Quote grif091

If you are thinking Insteon there is only one Motion Sensor to choose from – 2420M. it is a battery device but a 9V battery eliminator can be used.   Whatever lights you are want to control would require an Insteon switch(s) to control them.

As for time of day differences, this can be done with Powerhome. PH offers various ways to program a solution.   One way would be to define a Trigger which fires when the Motion Sensor sends an On command (motion detected). The Trigger invokes a Macro which turns on the respective light at different Bright levels based on time of day.

Since it sounds like you do not have Insteon at present there are some other devices that are necessary to support Insteon usage and Powerhome. A PLM (2412 or 2413) for PH to powerline communication, a pair of Dual Band (powerline and RF communication) devices to couple the 2 120V legs. These are in addition to the Motion Sensors and Insteon switches (several choices here) for controlling the various lighting circuits.     

benjaminkeith

Posted: January 16 2011 at 08:28 | IP Logged Quote benjaminkeith

Thank you for your detailed response. You said “If you are thinking Insteon” would there be a better way to go about this?
Back to Top View benjaminkeith's Profile Search for other posts by benjaminkeith

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:04 | IP Logged Quote grif091

No alternate suggestion. I use Insteon. Just wanted to be sure I was responding to the right question. X10 is another alternative which I have used and did not find it reliable enough to consider using on this scale. PH supports UPB but I know nothing about UPB devices.

Edited by grif091 - January 16 2011 at 11:06

benjaminkeith

Posted: January 16 2011 at 21:22 | IP Logged Quote benjaminkeith

Thanks for all your help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version