Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Philips HUE LED Integration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
syonker

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 14 2013 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote syonker

Hi Dave,

So working on the "LED SWAP" and ran across a product called "HUE" by Philips, that uses a gateway to allow iPad access (and it appears Droid as well) to the lights. They can be dimmed and set to pretty much any color of the rainbow on the fly, and are very responsive. No...not cheap, but WAY cool in the right context.

Wondering if you've run across these, and whether there was any way you could conceive of that PowerHome might be able to integrate? There are apps to sync light shows with music and all sorts of stuff which I would *love* for my "man-cave", but would also like PH to be able to control them as well.

Here's a link to the product: https://www.meethue.com/en-US

Here is the Philips HUE app for Apple iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/philips-hue/id557206189?mt=8

And here are the "Google Play" store HUE apps: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=philips%20hue&c=apps& hl=en

Just thought this was WAY cool and worth of PH Integration...or at least consideration...not sure what the "gateway" consists of API-wise, but it's being touted as a great Home Automation gadget. Albeit...*not* inexpensive.

-S

><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>¸.

·´¯`·.¸. , . ><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Back to Top View syonker's Profile Search for other posts by syonker Visit syonker's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 15 2013 at 10:02 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Spencer,

The Philips HUE lights are wicked cool. Ive known about them for awhile but havent ponied up the cash to try them out.

I went to the website at your first link (meethue.com) and down at the bottom they do have a "Developers" link. Went there and checked it out and it looks fairly easy. Looks like communicating to the Bridge interface is just some URL calls since it implements a RESTful interface. Native controller support could probably be added or a plugin could be written. Would definitely need to invest in the starter kit in order to be able to do any real testing/development.

I'd like to look into this once I get 2.1.5 finally out the door. In the meantime, if you do get a set, I should be able to help you get them up and controllable in some fashion using PowerHome.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

syonker

Posted: October 08 2013 at 08:37 | IP Logged Quote syonker

Hi Dave,

For the record, I *did* get a set of "HUE" lights. Just playing with them right now. No rush, but if you had any epiphanies and/or wanted to remote to check them out, let me know.   

-S

Back to Top View syonker's Profile Search for other posts by syonker Visit syonker's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 08 2013 at 21:25 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Spencer,

That's awesome. Let me know how your testing goes. It
would be great to schedule a time where I could remote in
and see what kind of responses the light gives. Probably
won't get a chance until next week though (perhaps next
Monday?). Let me know what works for you and what you've
discovered so far and we'll get it scheduled.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 13 2015 at 02:53 | IP Logged Quote smarty

I have just ordered a starter kit of these....looks like a nice alternative to
HUE:

http://www.limitlessled.com/dev/

Lots of developer suggestions, and these are CHEAP!!!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 18 2015 at 18:00 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Keep me posted on how this works out for you. If its
good, I'll order me up a set (definitely cheap enough)
and see about adding some built in support.

Dave.

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: August 15 2015 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

Just curious as to how you are getting along with
this...

--Jon
Back to Top View jonkjon's Profile Search for other posts by jonkjon

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: August 20 2015 at 21:52 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

After studying up on the API for LimitLessLED and
MiLight, I see now that there is an issue in PH with
sending binary data with the UDP commands and that a
possible fix may be in a future update...
Thanks Dave!

--Jon
Back to Top View jonkjon's Profile Search for other posts by jonkjon

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 14 2016 at 17:03 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Dave - was going to starting looking into setting up my Limitless LED's with the Hue Emulator...but, before I spend any serious time there; having them controlled via PH would be cleaner. Any update on the quoted issue?

Thanks

Steve    

jonkjon wrote:
After studying up on the API for LimitLessLED and
MiLight, I see now that there is an issue in PH with
sending binary data with the UDP commands and that a
possible fix may be in a future update...
Thanks Dave!

--Jon

seyler

Posted: September 19 2018 at 11:46 | IP Logged Quote seyler

Wanting to breathe some life in to this discussion

Dave,

Are you still planning any development on PH? I haven't been active here in a while, but recently moved and now it's time to get the new home set up. I've still got a ton of X10 stuff and an Ocelot and other various gadgets, but I'm investing in Philips Hue; pretty much every light in the house. Do you anticipate any development toward Hue integration moving forward?

Thanks!
Steve
Back to Top View seyler's Profile Search for other posts by seyler

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 06 2018 at 18:15 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Steve,

Yes . I just purchased a Philips Hue starter kit over Black Friday and am working on adding support for it as a controller.

Dave.

Resolute

Posted: December 06 2019 at 18:47 | IP Logged Quote Resolute

This question is for dhoward.....

First, I am (and have been for about 6 years now) an avid user of PH. I love the application mostly because it allows me to do virtually anything as long as I can extend
through WSH, which is most anything. I have been able to integrate all of my security, surveillance, environmental control, and automation devices using PH as a central
management application, mostly because of the extensive capabilities of device APIs and WSH integration into PH. I still use X10 motion detection extensively (using the
W800RF32) to trigger events , mostly because it is so reliable and affordable.

That being said, I am perplexed to understand why some of those published API interfaces (sorry for the redundant "I") have yet to be added to PH. Most of my home
automation is based on lighting using Philips Hue. I can control and monitor (polling hub every 2 seconds) all of my lights (39 and counting, including scenes,
animations, colors, etc), but it seems silly to have to rely so much on WSH javascript and JSON parsing on such a popular platform when a native controller and native
device management could accomplish so much. I have lots of people that see what I am doing in my home, and want to do the same, but my custom coding would make it
irresponsible for me to recommend PH as a solution, as it would only make my life miserable to support them.

Do you need help with the API? Can I offer any assistance? Donations?

Other PH enthusiasts:

Please chime in, am I the only one to dream of making a priority of extending PH into the Philips lighting platform to simplify the automation and management of these
devices?

Still chugging along with PH in Montana, and still love PH!!!
Back to Top View Resolute's Profile Search for other posts by Resolute

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 09 2019 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Resolute,

You'll be happy to know that I have indeed added native support for the Philips Hue hub. I am very close to getting an alpha ready for a few power
users to test. My current setup executable is having an issue with the automatic registration of all the new components so trying to get that
worked out. There is also a problem with the new webserver implementation that Im going to tackle.

If everything goes well, I'll have this alpha ready before Christmas and will contact you for testing of the Philips Hue integration. The one
thing that I won't have complete in the alpha will be the documentation so that will be forthcoming with the beta version after we iron out any
bugs in the alpha.

Dave.

Resolute

Posted: December 11 2019 at 20:04 | IP Logged Quote Resolute

Awesome!! Thanks Dave, eagerly awaiting the alpha!!
Back to Top View Resolute's Profile Search for other posts by Resolute

syonker

Posted: December 12 2019 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote syonker

I'm officially WAY on board with this still! Looking forward to what you come up with!

-S

gg102

Posted: December 12 2019 at 10:01 | IP Logged Quote gg102

I agree. I'm looking forward to this also.

Thanks Dave!
Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version