Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Programming
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Programming
Subject Topic: SmartHome 2450 I/O Linc Relay Mode Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 27 2014 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

I am struggling to get my overhead door opn/cls macros to work with my new 2450 I/O Lincs and have discovered that when I send an Insteon OFF command to the device, it apparently does not pulse its relay, thus nothing is sent to the door opener motor.

Looking at the Insteon Options window for this device in the Insteon Explorer Devices Window, I find an option for "Relay is Momentary" (which covers the Momentary A/Momentary B setup choices for this device according to the I/O Linc Owner's Manual), but there appears to be no way to check or change Momentary C, which is what I'm now suspecting is the mode my unit is stuck in since I have "Relay is Momentary and Momentary both On and Off" modes set but am only getting an output pulse on the On.

Is there a way to achieve Momentary C that I am missing, or do I have to do a factory reset on the unit and start all over again?

nick7920

Posted: October 27 2014 at 16:24 | IP Logged Quote nick7920

Did you tried manually setting up per 2450 Insteon
instruction. (Momentary C) that's what you need for
garage door.

What relay does is mimic the pressing of garage door
open/close by applying power for 10 second or so
closing the circuit.

I had played around when I got it first which was long
time ago.

Also changes are allowed to setup of 2450 in insteon
app but I believe you have to have newer controller
like HUB. (which I have as my backup controller)

edited : one more thing My 2450 is actual garage door kit
with big magnetic contact also connected to relay which is
responsible for sending open or close - just like 2450 can
be use for water leaks and other stuff)

Nick

Edited by nick7920 - October 27 2014 at 19:15
Back to Top View nick7920's Profile Search for other posts by nick7920

gg102

Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:48 | IP Logged Quote gg102

If I might offer some ideas....

Newer garage door "buttons" are NOT just a normally open connection. Most newer "buttons" are "smart" and can not be replaced by a simple momentary contact switch. If you are using an older opener, this might work, but definitely not a newer one.

To do this (and I have) you must make your contact inside the smart button right across their button's contacts. Also, you need to be (electrically) close to the contacts as they now use a low voltage (typically driven out of an IC) which can not drive a long wire. You might get away with a few feet, but not much more) Also, you need to be aware that adding a long wire will add electrical noise or interference to the system and may cause your door to randomly open and/or close. Worst case you can burn out the IC chip in the circuit.

I have 3 2450's (which I use in x10 mode) for my system.

I use one 2450 to sense open/close and a different one to close my garage door. They are separate devices. They can not be the same unit because there's a time lag between the signals. If you use one unit, if you trigger it to open, it will miss the open (sense) event. (Well, in x10 mode, your results may vary). I use a magnetic switch on my sense 2450 to sense the door open event.

I also have a third 2450 which I use to test the open sensor. I have the relay in series with the open sense circuit. If I trigger the third relay to open, it should cause an open event on the first 2450. If not, there's a problem with the open sense circuits/program. (I just like positive tests.)

Additionally, I have a interlock switch in series with my close 2450 so that the 2450 will never open the garage door. Thus, my 2450 can only close the door and not open it (for security reasons). If someone hacks my system they can not open the garage door.

I can be more explicit or detailed if you need.

Just my thoughts.
Back to Top View gg102's Profile Search for other posts by gg102

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version