Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Programming
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Programming
Subject Topic: PLM Group Inconsistencies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Why is it that sometimes when a new device is defined that the Link window automatically shows the PLM as a Responder by default BUT sometimes it shows the Group number as 0 and other times as 1?

Two different devices shown below...

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:52 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

The PLM as a controller with a group of 0 is the link that is created by the CREATE I2CS INITIAL LINK operation for I2CS devices.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: November 09 2014 at 07:44 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Is this a "special" link, or does it have more general applications?

That is, to assure highest reliability, I normally put a PLM Group 1, Button 0 Controller link in on each Insteon Device's Links Table to assure that the Device Acks commands back to the PLM, rather than count on them being seen with a single blind command transmission.

Does this Group 0 link fulfill that role, or should there be two entries in the Controllers (of Current Device) field?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 09 2014 at 14:03 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

There would be no need to create a link with the PLM as a controller and a remote device as a responder unless you were going to control the remote device via that link. Direct commands will always be ACKed even if no links exist (unless its an I2CS device). More importantly is to have a link with the PLM as a responder and the remote device as a controller so the PLM is notified of manual control of the remote device (for devices that actually can be manually controlled).

Creating the initial link in an I2CS device cant be done using the normal link creation methods and instead has to be accomplished via a special dedicated command that gives you no control over the group number or the level and ramp rate. Its only purpose is to place the PLM's address in the I2CS devices database so the I2CS device will respond to the PLM for any future commands including the normal link creation. This link that HAS to exist for I2CS devices can be any link with the PLM however so after the initial I2CS link is created, you delete it as long as you have another link that already exists with the PLM. If you try to delete the initial link and create a new different PLM link in the same step, you'll end up with the initial link being re-created as soon as its deleted since PowerHome deletes links before creating new ones.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version