Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Video Boards & Web Cam Software Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 02 2005 at 23:40 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Such discoveries!

Low-cost, WDM-compatible, multi-channel video input cards

Select "DVR SYSTEM" on left, then "DVR CARD, DVR CABLE" on right.

Lowest cost card: $23 for 30 FPS over 4 channels!

Fastest card: $248 for 240 FPS for 8 channels

Also, I just found out about Active WebCam. $29.

This all seems very cool!

Tony
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 02 2005 at 23:50 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Bah! Active WebCam BASIC is $29. Motion detection appears in the Pro version for $49. Much more with the Deluxe version for $89.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: March 05 2005 at 22:20 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

You said it Tony.. I like that "kits" site..

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 24 2005 at 23:13 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

TonyNo wrote:
Also, I just found out about Active WebCam. $29.

This all seems very cool!

Tony

I have active webcam....love it! I used it in the last election to keep a watch on my George Bush lawn sign from work :)....really handy......wife thought I was nuts.....
Back to Top View fanningp's Profile Search for other posts by fanningp Visit fanningp's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 25 2005 at 14:36 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Hehe, did you actually catch anybody?

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 25 2005 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

dhoward wrote:
Hehe, did you actually catch anybody?

Nah....I'm more into the fun it was settin it all up...I don't think everyone got that....but there were alot of Bush signs in my part of the woods that were defaced...so my little experiment served two purposes.

It's all about fun.....

Pete
Back to Top View fanningp's Profile Search for other posts by fanningp Visit fanningp's Homepage

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 28 2005 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

TonyNo wrote:
Bah! Active WebCam BASIC is $29. Motion detection appears in the Pro version for $49. Much more with the Deluxe version for $89.

Hey Tony....I just got my Registered version of Active Webcam going again on my PH box...it's "guarding" the door to my apt :)

http://www.thenettech.net:8181

Check it soon as I am gonna pw protect it.....

Pete

Edited by fanningp

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 28 2005 at 15:44 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Looks like it does not work in Firefox. IE seems to be fine.

Which version do you have (basic, pro, or deluxe)?

Tony

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 28 2005 at 16:58 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

Deluxe......

Probably doesnt work because the camera part of the page is ActiveX....you have the option of using ActiveX or Java or both, I just used ActiveX........

There is a top line and a bottom line of the camera that would allow you to control it if I allowed.....zoom...left...right....stuff like that....

Pete

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 29 2005 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Peter,

Looks pretty good. The interesting thing is that the ActiveX and Java applet of Active Webcam works through the firewall where I work. The Java applet with my Webcam32 software does not . It also seemed to have fairly decent frame rates.

What kind of camera are you using that allows you to zoom and pan?

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 29 2005 at 19:08 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

Dave....A Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000, but it will only zoom...the up/down/right/left will only work on the other Logitech model who's number escapes me at this point.......

Pete

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 06 2005 at 21:38 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

Ah...it's the weekend again.......I've experimented with Active Webcam again and ADDED a second webcam to the webpage...actually...if I do what I plan to...the second one will actually be a rotating macro of 3 Wide-Angle XC19A's I have laying around......

Check it out at:

http://www.thenettech.net:8181

Pete

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 07 2005 at 17:52 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

Oooops...forgot to add a port forward at the router for the second camera....sorry bout that those of you who may have checked it out....I fixed it....

Oh...and the X10 wireless cams generally suck IMHO, especially in a wireless networking environment where signal clashes occur. I've yet to find the best range where both are happy.

Pete

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 08 2005 at 08:39 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

Pete

My X10 also has problems with my cordless phones... 2.4GHz and it dosnt help I also have wireless wifi... I cant find a channel to use it without the "Rolling" interferance.... If I try and operate it in a motion detector mode I get triggering with all the rolls...

I am going to try a low frequency camera but I am concerned about my allumimum siding... Lower frequencies will be blocked easier by it.

Todd

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

fanningp
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 08 2005 at 21:13 | IP Logged Quote fanningp

My other option is to go out and purchase the lower end logitech USB cams and hub them...then equal out the USB bandwidth usage in the DEVICE control panel.

I had trouble with that last night after a reboot when the VM11A (X10 USB adapter for video) grabbed 80% of the USB bandwidth. In device manager there is no option for controlling it......it just grabs what it sees left apparently.....I'd rather have a device I can control.

Until last night I never even heard of USB bandwidth!

Pete

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 09 2005 at 16:05 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Heh,

Ive had problems with the wireless X-10 cams as well (and yes, they do suck ). Ive had to limit my cordless phone to 900 mhz and placed my wireless G network on channel 11. I then placed the wireless video receiver on either A or D (cant remember, but it was furthest in frequency from channel 11). This helped considerably, but still suffers from some intererence.

This has led me to where Im currently planning on going...using IP cameras. For those who don't know, Im currently going through the nightmare of having a new house built which is why Im not available on weekends anymore. Anyways, Ive had the new house wired so that every camera location will have an RG-59, an 18-2, and a Cat5e. The current crop of IP cameras seem quite reasonable in price (about $70.00) and should eliminate the need to do any kind of video switching since they all have there own internal webserver. I should then be able to configure my router to direct traffic based upon the port or worst case, use the PowerHome ph-cgi/relay command to get still shots redirected from a single port.

Dave.

Edited by dhoward

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 09 2005 at 21:28 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

Dave,

Where did you find the 70.00 IP Cameras? Id love to use one and modiy my x10 mount to fit it(for the pan tilt)

Thanks,

Todd

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Todd,

I didnt save the website where I found the price (I could swear it was $67.00). I did a search again and the best price I can find is $75.52 at this site: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2 hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=88546&_LOC=US . This is for the wired version. The same store sells the wireless version for $94.28.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 10 2005 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Dave,

Have you used these cams yet? I've seen them described on another forum as "worthless". Maybe you have another opinion?

Thanks,
Tony

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 10 2005 at 23:03 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Agghhhh!!! Tony, you're destroying my dreams .

I have not gotten one yet. I figure nothing can be much worse than the X-10 cams, but I could be wrong. I had looked at a couple of the webcams at the EHX show (one of them D-Link...but a different model) and they didnt look too bad. But checking one out at a show and actually living with one would definately be two different things.

I too, saw a couple of posts that said people had problems with it losing connectivity (the wireless version I believe) but also saw a couple of reviews where people liked the cam.

But, it's good that you bring it up...I probably just would have gone out and bought 10 of them. I guess I should get 1 and evaluate it before I rush into something.

Dave.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version