Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Installation Problem Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JohnP

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 29 2015 at 11:40 | IP Logged Quote JohnP

Dave,

Here's an update on the continuing saga...smile.

1. I have installed a new Range Extender(2992-222). It is located about 6 feet from IPLM. I am still getting several Links that are marked "Flagged Delete" and "Flagged Create" and a few "Links Not Found". Is that a symptom of poor comms? The installation is located on 3 floors with IPLM and the Range Extender on the 1st. Do you think it would help to have 2 more Extenders -- one for each of the other floors? I would stack them above each other on the floors -- resulting in about 10ft separation. The old Access Points v1.0 do not seem to help at all.

2. I'm thinking of changing from Insteon Groups to Macros for my timed events. I understand the simultaneous nature of the Groups, but I also wonder if individual commands in a macro might have a better chance of getting though the comm jungle. Some of the commands in the Groups are either not getting through or there is confusion because of the Link issues for the timed events.

3. What is the purpose of Group 0 in the IPLM? Is that just the default if a specific Group is not identified?

4. I notice in the Links display there are CtlrRec# and RespRec#'s labeled 0 in some cases. Is this to be expected?

John
Back to Top View JohnP's Profile Search for other posts by JohnP

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 29 2015 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

Probably the best initial location for the range extender. I would probably look at a couple more range extenders, one for each floor. The way I would set it up is to have the
second floor range extender on a different phase than the the first range extender and then the third floor range extender on the same phase as the first floor. This should give
you adequate coverage.

If you've got links that are stuck at "Flagged Create" or "Flagged Delete" then either the PLM is not set to write links (the enable pending is unchecked or the Poll Interval is
set to 0) or the devices with links to be created or deleted is currently disabled (either the "Disabled" column is checked or the device is COMMs failed disabled).

To see if a device is disabled due to bad communications (COMMs disabled), check the device in the "Devices" tab. If the "Clear Failed" column is an orange background, then the
device is having communication issues and the number of failed communication attempts have exceeded the "Max Failures" setting (default 5). You can scroll all the way to the right
and check the "Failed Matches" and "Ext Failed Matches" column to verify. To clear this setting, place a check in the "Clear Failed" column and "Save". You should see the create or
delete statements appear in the Pending Operations queue and you can monitor if they're going through or not. For every failed communication set (a set is three consecutive tries),
the failed match column is incremented by 1. If you get even a single successful communication, then this column is reset back to 0 so you can see if this column is getting set
you've got some serious COMM issues.

Changing from group commands to individual commands will probably help your COMM issues. Group commands are "broadcast" and are not acknowledged in any way so they are inherently
less reliable. One thing you could try is just sending the same group command multiple times (3 or 5 times...this is exactly what the Insteon RF devices do). Individual commands
are ACK'ed by the device and there is automatic retries built in to try and make sure the command is received. The problem with this approach though is that if you've got COMM
issues and you're having to send and retry a command several times before it finally goes through it will make for VERY slow control. A direct command is usually sent up to 15
times before it gives us so you might be waiting 15 seconds for a single device to be switched on before the next device is attempted.

Valid groups in an Insteon controller are 0 thru 255. Most people start at 1 though. Group 255 is reserved for the ALL ON/OFF group. In other words, if you've got a PLM that is
controlling devices on groups 10,11,12,20,30, etc. and you send a group command to group 255, then it will control ALL the groups that are programmed in the PLM. This is an Insteon
feature and not a PowerHome feature so you should never create links at group 255. Most of the time you encounter group 0 is as the receiving group in the PLM.

Links with a controller or responder link number set to 0 means that the link was either not found or has not yet been programmed yet. Also, all record numbers in the PLM
(controller or receiver) will be 0 as links in the PLM are not written in the same way that they are written to devices so arent actually assigned record numbers.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

JohnP

Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote JohnP

Dave,

Thanks. Just after my last post I found that several devices were Disabled. This no doubt was the result of bad comms before I installed the new range extender. Link situation is much better now.

I have ordered 2 more range extenders which should improve the comms further. I'm also going to change one switch cover plate from brass to plastic. This contains one Insteon device that is not communicating well. I figure the brass plate is shielding the enclosed switch.

I will further on this after I install the 2 new range extenders.

John

JohnP

Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:24 | IP Logged Quote JohnP

Dave,

I now have 3 new range extenders installed and I've kept the 2 old access points plugged in. I've been playing with the location of each of these and not worry about the phases since everything I need is via Insteon RF. Things are improving. I've never had better visibility into what is happening on the Insteon network.

One thing I believe I have observed is that some devices get locked up and do not fully respond. On those devices that seem to have a problem I have been unplugging them for a few seconds and then plugging them back in. That seems to help on Rebuilds and Reverify. Am I correct in thinking that devices sometimes get locked up?

John

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 07 2015 at 22:11 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

It is definitely possible for Insteon devices to "lock
up" and unplugging/plugging them is usually the only
way to clear them but this is usually not the norm.

Past experience shows that Insteon is more prone to
locking up with power surges/brownouts or when the AC
is extremely noisy. If you're not having alot of
surges/brownouts (I don't think you live in Florida
), then its possible you have alot of noise on
your line but I would think it would have to be pretty
severe.

If you check the overall Comms report in the Insteon
Explorer, are you getting alot of timeouts or NAK's?
What are the indications of the devices not
responding? If you're getting alot of timeouts (the
remote insteon device is not responding to direct
commands) and a power reset fixes it, then the device
was locked up. One thing to be aware of is that UPS'es
tend to "suck up" insteon signals and switching power
supplies and CFL's tend to put alot of noise on the
line. You may want to reset your comm's statistics for
all your devices and start getting fresh data with
your new extenders and then recheck your overall comm
report to see where you might have some problem areas.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

JohnP

Posted: November 08 2015 at 06:05 | IP Logged Quote JohnP

Dave,

I noticed that for a Rebuild to correct link fragmentation some devices were not responding to the Rebuild. I unplugged the devices and plugged them back in and problem solved. Some of my devices have been plugged in for years and of course I was using HouseLinc.

It is not clear to me how to reset comm statistics. How do you do that?

John

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 08 2015 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

Guess its best to see how it goes moving forward and check the comm reports with new statistics.

To clear the comm statistics, in the Insteon Explorer on the Devices tab, place a check in the "Clear COMMS" column and "Save". You can check or uncheck every line by
clicking on the column heading.

Dave.

JohnP

Posted: November 08 2015 at 18:40 | IP Logged Quote JohnP

Dave,

Resetting the device comm statistics gives me a better idea of the situation. Most devices are running at 100%. The main outliers are 2466Dx and 2466Sx ToggleLinc Dimmers which are at about 75%. In one case the device is right next to a device that is at 100%. This leads me to question the antenna on the ToggleLinc Dimmer. Are those notorious for poor comms?

John

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 08 2015 at 19:43 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

John,

I havent heard of any problems with ToggleLincs. I don't believe ToggleLincs are dual band devices (at least I couldnt find any reference to that on SmartHome's site)
so are probably powerline control only. If you've got noisy AC or other devices are sucking the signal, then that may account for the problem. Especially if its right
next to a device that you know is dual-band.

Ive only got 4 togglelincs in my setup and so far they havent been a problem.

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version