Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Remote Programming Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2002 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Are there any solutions to remote programming of macros and triggers besides PC Anywhere or a long-distance KVM switching system?

Thanks,
Tony
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 30 2002 at 09:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

You could use the Direct SQL web screen and directly insert into the associated tables. It would be difficult, but would work. Im going to be getting back to work on the web portion of PowerHome shortly. If anyone is interested, the next version of PowerHome supports PSP pages (PowerHome Server Pages). You'll be able to make your own dynamic content web pages and an enterprising person would be able to develop their own

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 30 2002 at 16:12 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Dave,

Do you know if Access can get into the database somehow?

PSP sounds good, though!

Tony
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 30 2002 at 17:02 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Yes, Access can read the database no problem. Use a userid/password of ph/ph.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 30 2002 at 21:42 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, I can't get Access 2002 to read it. The database has a .db extension; is it not Paradox format?

Tony

kenb

Posted: May 03 2002 at 09:06 | IP Logged Quote kenb

You might try VNC (free) or RADMIN from radmin.com ($35). I use radmin all the time, works great, faster then VNC.
Back to Top View kenb's Profile Search for other posts by kenb

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 03 2002 at 22:42 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, VNC is incredibly slow. I even found one called TightVNC, which is supposed to be made for low bandwidth connections, but, is just as slow. I even have a 100Mb connection!

Radmin, huh?

Tony

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 03 2002 at 23:15 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Oh, yes. Radmin is a good one! Seems at least as good as PCAnywhere, if not better, in that it runs on my older machine!

Thanks!

Tony

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 04 2002 at 22:06 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

Connecting via Access. Create a new blank database. Then (I dont have Access in front of me so this is from memory go to the menu and select "Get External Data" or "Import Data" or something like that. In the Window that opens, choose ODBC database. In the subsequent window, select a DSN of "PowerHome". You should have to supply a userid and password, use powerhome/powerhome. You should then be presented with a list of all the PowerHome tables as well as systems tables. Select the tables that you want to "link" to and that should be it.

The database in PowerHome has the same extension as a Paradox table (*.db), but is instead an Adaptive Server Anywhere table. Completely different format. A paradox .db file only contains a single table. An ASA .db file contains the entire database including tables, indexes, stored procedures, views, etc. (I used to work with Paradox years ago

Also, I got your email with the exported macros and triggers. I dont have it in front of me at the moment as my notebook crashed, but I do still have the email saved. I looked at it briefly and the motion sensor macro calls at least 1 other macro which would be helpful if you exported for me as well. I dont have the exact name(s) but will get them to you on Monday.

I use VNC also...Its free, and is great because you can access a machine from anywhere as long as it has a web browser, even a pocket pc. I'll take a look at Radmin though, because maybe it does the same.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 05 2002 at 19:27 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Thanks for the info, Dave. I'll keep trying with Access. Radmin 'til I get it right!

I sent the other macro (mdetect).

Thanks,
Tony

dmoreno

Posted: June 01 2002 at 18:07 | IP Logged Quote dmoreno

Is it possible to use the Ir on your computer or notebook to send and receive commands like the CIR?
Back to Top View dmoreno's Profile Search for other posts by dmoreno

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 01 2002 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Not the right kind of remote, but...

I've heard that the range is really short for IrDA used like that.

Tony

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:34 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Renewed interest in this. I'm using Excel.

If I change the name/pw to ph in Connection, I get to another window named, "Please enter MS JET OLE DB Initialization Information" with these fields: Data Source (path to DB), User Name (ph), Password (ph), Provider String, and Open Mode.

I'm getting an error that says that it's already opened excusively by another user or I don't have permission.

Pointers?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 09 2006 at 20:17 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Hmmm...

Im using Excel 2003 and this is what I did.

First, I created a DSN for PowerHome in the ODBC Administrator (Control Panel). I select Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0 as the driver, gave it a DSN name, used a userid/password of ph/ph and selected the PowerHome database location. Saved it.

I next open Excel and go to Data->Import External Data->New Database Query. Under the "Databases" tab, I select the PowerHome DSN I just created. I then have a screen with a list of the PowerHome tables. For a test, I chose the eventlog table and pressed the ">" button select all of the columns and then pressed "Next". On the Filter screen, I just pressed "Next" because I didnt want to filter. On the Sort screen I chose timestamp and then sequence and then pressed "Next". On the next screen I pressed the "Finish" button. I then import the data into the existing worksheet using the default location.

I then have all of the data of the eventlog in my Excel spreadsheet.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 09 2006 at 21:35 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Hmm, indeed! I get a driver error when I try that. Do you know where I could find the driver to try and reinstall?

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 10 2006 at 21:17 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

Tony,

I was able to connect using access.
here are the strps I used

open a access and create a new db (blank)
    right click and choose link
    select odbc as the file type
    In the select data source window choose the machine data source tab
    click new
    choose user or system (I used system)
    then choose adaptive server anywhere and click next
    then click finish
    name your data source
    then on the login tab enter the name/password (ph/ph)
    if the datasource is not on the same machine enter the
    server information on the database tab
    then follow the many many linking prompts...

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 11 2006 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

The Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0 driver is a part of the PowerHome install. You could try re-installing (into a different directory...the ASA stuff gets put in the System32 directory) but I wouldnt think you'd need to. Without the driver properly installed, PowerHome wouldnt be able to communicate with the database either.

Dave.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 11 2006 at 17:09 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

OK, makes sense. This was tried from my main machine, not the PH machine.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version