Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Bug Reports
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Bug Reports
Subject Topic: USB-UIT IR Learning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 11 2006 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I can't learn codes! I've tried two different remotes and with Enable Remote Control on and off.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 11 2006 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Update: I just tried switching to Pronto format, and learning worked with Enable Remote Control checked. Still not sure what gives here.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 12 2006 at 12:58 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony, do you have any more info concerning this? Keep in mind that I had to change the learning routine for the USB-Uirt to handle certain types of remotes. During a learn process, you must press the key twice. First for a couple of seconds to learn the IR send code and a second time briefly to learn the long range response code.

Let me know,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 12 2006 at 13:52 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Well, the two-press deal did not start until I selected Enable Remote Control or switched to Pronto format. Until then, I just had timeout errors.

Let me know what I can try doing to help you out.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 13 2006 at 00:07 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Tony,

I'll dig out my USB-Uirt and test it out on my end. Will get back to you shortly.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 10 2006 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Tony/Dave,
Did any more details come to light on this topic?

As I have been attempting to learn a number of different remotes and setting up various triggers, it seems to me that the usb-UIRT learning/triggering process has become a little more "tricky" to make work.

I will be doing much more work here (new house to use IR sensors and blasters in each room), and am curious to know how this could be made less "tricky".

Steve

martlist

Posted: February 01 2008 at 02:49 | IP Logged Quote martlist

For anyone still struggling with learning IR I finally got my own system working tonight.

It turned out that the learning was very sensitive to the IR codes I was using. I have always been able to send IR codes because even though I could not learn, because I could cut and paste from my pronto software. That got me the long codes. However the short codes had to be learned and I could never get them to work or see them in the event log as every post suggested.

I just happened to try some of the buttons for my other devices that I did not want to learn such as my DVD and boom, they all appeared in the log first go.

So I went to remote central and got some pronto codes for various devices that I know I would never had and started experimenting. Basically I put them on my pronto and tested which buttons got detected nad posted to the event log.

Some buttons never got detected, some got detected but with a different short code each time, and some got detected and with the same code every press. On inspection it seemed like the more complete and longer ir codes were the ones that got detected best (you can view the codes in the pronto software or tonto).

I then stole the codes from these working buttons and instead assigned them to my Insteon lightning buttons on the remote.

I then copied them from the log to the IR device section in powerhome and bingo. Everything now works great.

You could do all of the above without a pronto, you just need to try lots of different remotes until you get one that works for the short codes. For example, I was initially using the old remote from a Lutron ir dimmer switch and it turns out it never got detected. I am now using the codes for a marantz dvd player (I don't have one) for all my light control. I don't need the long codes and so setup was a breeze.

So if you have trouble learning, check the log and try some other ir remotes to eliminate the bad ones.
Back to Top View martlist's Profile Search for other posts by martlist

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version