Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: SDM not communicating & crashing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aartech

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 25 2006 at 23:30 | IP Logged Quote aartech

Hello,

I installed Powerhome (current version from web, new install) today and tried to get it set up with a 2414S connected on COM1 but I can't get SDM to communicate with the PLC. I added the 2414S to the controllers section in Powerhome as per instructions...

Just to make sure my com port worked, I set up a CM11A on the same com port, and it worked fine. The 2414S was working fine with an Elk M1 (so far set for X10 communications).

The SDM keeps crashing, and it is also causing Powerhome to hang every few seconds (probably when it tries to poll the 2414S)... when the SDM crashes, it restarts shortly afterwards.

I've attached the SDM logs in case anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!
Robert

This is when it first fires up, and I did a getPLCstatus

downloadTimer started
timerActivate enabled
ui:getplcstatus
PLC:getPLCstatus=beginlist
port=COM1
connected=True
firmware=0.0
id=
devicetype=InsteonPLC-COM
lastErrorMsg=#0:
endlist
uifinished:getplcstatus
SDM:DM=active,1.01.122.278,12/25/2006 11:06:37 PM,unresponsive,,0.0
starttime=00:25

Then if I leave it running, I get this

downloadTimer started
timerActivate enabled
SINKERROR: Access violation at address 00406F1E in module 'SDM3.exe'. Read of address 414D535C
UI:ConnectedAndReady
Back to Top View aartech's Profile Search for other posts by aartech

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 26 2006 at 11:45 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

You need to set the controller to Insteon DM, not the PLC. Do this, restart PH, and see what happens.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 26 2006 at 13:19 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

aartech,

Looking at your logs, it appears that you may have a hardware problem. The PLC status starts to look good with the COM1 and connected but the firmware is 0.0 (should be something like 2.13) and the ID is blank.

The first thing I would do is take PowerHome out of the equation by launching the SDM manually without PowerHome running. If we cant get the SDM to stay running and properly communicate with the PLC, then PowerHome will problems too.

Check your 2414S and see what firmware the sticker says. If its older (2.9), then you'll need to send it back to SmartHome for a free upgrade since the older revisions are not compatible with the new SDM.

Let me know where that gets you and we'll take it from there.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

aartech

Posted: December 29 2006 at 15:03 | IP Logged Quote aartech

And the winner is... hardware problem. Thanks Dave. Although the 2414S was working with my Elk panel, it didn't want to work with the SDM and/or Powerhome. I put a new one in and voila, problem solved. I think I tried this previously but was having trouble changing the com port. The old unit was also locking up every few days.. the new one seems to be more stable so far.

For what it's worth, the 2414S units I have here don't have the firmware on any labels, just the hardware version (1.6) but once I got it communicating it's showing 2.12

Thanks for the suggestion.
Back to Top View aartech's Profile Search for other posts by aartech

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 30 2006 at 19:01 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Excellent! Glad to hear that it was easily solvable (albeit a pain Im sure).

Ive got probably 4 old PLC's that Ive got to send back to SmartHome for the latest firmware upgrade myself. Just havent found the time to go through the motions yet .

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

len12121

Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:33 | IP Logged Quote len12121

I seem to have same issue but just purchased plc. I have the exact message as displayed above. Can there be some other issue causing this problem? Would clearing the PLC of switches I have manually linked to PLC have any effect on this problem? version on side of PLC says rev. 1.9 . Hard to beleive firmware would be old.

Any ideas?
Back to Top View len12121's Profile Search for other posts by len12121

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 17 2007 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Len,

Sorry to take so long responding. Do you have any new developments to report?

PLC's usually have a couple of stickers. One is the hardware revision (which could be 1.9) in your case and another should be the firmware version.

When you say you have the "exact message", does this mean that the firmware in the SDM is reporting 0.0? If so, I would send this unit back even if it is brand new. It's rare, but I have heard of at least one user ordering a PLC recently and receiving a very old firmware version of 2.9.

Let me know,

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version