Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Insteon Command Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
UpstateMike

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 31 2006 at 22:53 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

Anybody know what the difference is between an Insteon Direct Command, All-Link Command or Broadcast Command? Does PH support all of these?
Back to Top View UpstateMike's Profile Search for other posts by UpstateMike

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 17 2007 at 22:16 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Mike,

Wow, Im way behind .

A "Direct" command is a command from a specific device (all command are from a specific device) to a specific device. This command is acknowledged by the receiving device and repeated a specific number of times if it is not.

A Broadcast Command is a type of command and is commonly referred to as a "Group" command. This type of command is from a specific device to a particular group number (opposed to a specific device). It is "broadcast" across the network and any device hearing it will then check it's internal database to see if the sending device and group appears to determine if it should "act" upon it or not. This type of command is not acknowledged and therefore not repeated (other than the standard Insteon hopping).

An "All-Link" command is SmartLabs "new" terminology for a group command. SmartLabs has been tweaking the Insteon protocol (and terminology) recently. This has caused a great deal of confusion among newer Insteon partners (who are only told about "All-Link") and existing partners (who were originally told about group broadcasts). Alot of them believe that they are now incompatible when primarily all that has changed is the terminology. All-Link includes some new commands as well as a new linking method, but once those links are in place, then an older "group on" command is identical to an "All-Link" command.

PowerHome supports all of these. The Device status screen works by sending "Direct" commands to Insteon devices. If you use any of the Insteon Group commands or functions, they will use a group broadcast (or all-link in the new terminology). The ph_insteongroupcu function also uses a "direct" command (a group cleanup message is from a device to a device).

Hope this helps (a little ).

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

UpstateMike

Posted: January 20 2007 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

So do all current Insteon products support the new commands and linking methodology of "All-Link"? What issues will I see with my old switches that were made before the "All-Link" definition was established?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 20 2007 at 23:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Mike,

No...the current shipping SwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, ToggleLincs, etc. are still the same old ones (at least the ones I got last week are). The products from SimpleHomeNet however are PLM based and Al is supporting the new guidelines.

The Somfy blinds and the Weiland doors that were at CES (both RF based) also use the new All-Link commands. I wasnt able to create the links to these devices through software to PowerHome but was able to link manually. Once linked, I was able to control both the blinds and the doors. I'll have to review the Insteon documents, but it seems that Feb 1, 2007 was some kind of proposed date but seeing how other dates have slipped I wouldnt be surprised to see this one go by as well.

Ive had several conversations with SmartLabs concerning compatability between older versions and the new versions and have been assured that there should be no problems. The new "All Link" linking commands supposedly simulate the physical button pressing of manual linking and would allow you to create links using this method between the new devices. The older devices will still of course support the current method of byte by byte poking of the database link information. The new devices Im assured will support background link creation using the new extended commands. So, with intelligent software, you should be able to easily link old with old, old with new, and new with new, all using the background method that were used to. The newer devices will however support the simulated button press making it easier for developers to support linking through software without having to know the intricacies of the link database structure.

So, short answer, if what I have been told is accurate, decent software should be able to seamlessly work with both old and new without you being any the wiser.

HTH,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

UpstateMike

Posted: January 21 2007 at 11:52 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

One last question-

If the new software simulates button presses, does that mean that X10 address changes made from PowerHome will take effect immediately without power cycling the device?

Edited by UpstateMike - January 21 2007 at 11:52

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 22 2007 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Theoretically, yes. If the new All Link, link command works as described, you could simulate the "set" button being pressed and then send the appropriate X10 address 3 times to set a new X10 address. Of course, we won't know until some devices are available. Should this possible, I'll add the support to PowerHome.

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version