Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: KeypadLinc Programming Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrkov

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 27 2008 at 20:26 | IP Logged Quote chrkov

Hi,

I am trying to program a button on a keypadlinc (8 button) to instead of toggleing, to be on. When I set it to on and click save, when it comes back, the bullet is on off. And that is also how it programmed it. I can not get the button to send an on when pushed unless it is in toggle mode. Any Ideas?
Back to Top View chrkov's Profile Search for other posts by chrkov

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 28 2008 at 11:17 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

chrkov,

Welcome to PowerHome! I assume you're trying to set a KPL button to be non-toggle on in the KPL tab of the Insteon Explorer. The only thing you're probably missing is that due to a bug (omission?) in the KPL firmware, PowerHome is neither able to read or set the actual on/off value when changing a button from toggle to non-toggle.

It's easy enough to fix and work-around however. First thing, open the Insteon Explorer and go to the KPL tab. Read in the values of your desired KPL. Any buttons that are currently set to non-toggle, go ahead and change back to toggle. Save these changes. Physically go to the KPL and press the buttons that you want to be non-toggle on until they are actually showing ON. Buttons you wish to have as non-toggle off should be set to off. Buttons that will remain as toggle, it doesnt matter. The main thing is to make sure that the buttons you are going to change to non-toggle, is that their light reflect whether they will be a non-toggle on or non-toggle off. Go back to PowerHome and change the KPL buttons you want to be non-toggle in the KPL tab of the Insteon Explorer. It doesnt matter if you check the On or Off, just that it's not set to toggle. The actual on/off value will be determined by the status of the button when it is programmed. Save your changes. Any button that was "lit" when it was programmed as non-toggle will now be a non-toggle on. Any button that was off, will be a non-toggle off.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

chrkov

Posted: January 29 2008 at 00:02 | IP Logged Quote chrkov

Dave,

I tried doing exactly as you stated. But even if the button is on and I change it to toggle, it toggles to the off position. I tried several times on two different keypads with the same result. these are the new 1.6 firmware units. Could that have anything to do with it?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 29 2008 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Hmmm...that is interesting. It sounds as if something has changed in the newer revision KPL's.

I'll look through my collection and see if I have a 1.6 KPL that I can test with. If not, I'll order one up. I'll let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, it's a kludgy way to do it (it would still beat programming manually), but you should be able to get this to work by doing just as you've done so far. The buttons should be set as non-toggle, but it sounds as if they are all non-toggle off. If you create a PLC group with the desired button as a member and then control the group so that the button light actually turns on, then the button *should* now act as a non-toggle on button.

I'll look into this and see what I can find out.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 29 2008 at 22:34 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

chrkov,

Don't bother trying what I suggested in the last post...it wont work. I did indeed have 1 newer KPL and it does not support having the toggle/non-toggle of individual buttons set. This started to sound familiar and I checked my notes and found that I had indeed reported this as a bug during beta testing of the KPL relay. In any event, Ive contacted SmartHome to find out how best to proceed with this.

The Insteon command tables list a direct command to handle these settings without having to resort to poking memory directly, but this is an extended data command which would mean that the PLC is not capable of doing this task.

All I can say is that it is getting really frustrating trying to continue to support Insteon with things constantly changing. Very hard to hit a moving target .

Dave.

chrkov

Posted: January 30 2008 at 03:07 | IP Logged Quote chrkov

Thanks for the updates. I do agree this is getting frustrating. Almost wish I would of waited a couple more years.

I will wait to hear what you find out from smarthome.

Thanks!

chrkov

Posted: January 31 2008 at 07:05 | IP Logged Quote chrkov

Called Smarthome yesterday. They know there are issues with the KPL 1.6 firmware and you can RMA your 1.6 units and get the latest 1.65 that corrects several issues. Mine are on the way. Might want to get your 1.6 KPL replaced. Will let you know when I get them if things look better with the 1.65 firmware.

judetf

Posted: February 03 2008 at 13:28 | IP Logged Quote judetf

It was in January '08 that I got my first Insteon devices. Two KPLs, both firmware v1.6.

I am currently on hold being transfered to a "manager." The first cust. rep I spoke to said that I couldn't "exchange" for a newer version unless I was experiencing a specific, identifiable problem.

And now, having spoken to the manager, I am told that they are no longer issuing RMAs for exchanges. They have "fixed" the issue in their own software, and since the problem can't be (re)created with their software and the 1.6 version of the firmware, then I'm out of luck.

Unfortunate. I had started to grow to like them.
Back to Top View judetf's Profile Search for other posts by judetf

chrkov

Posted: February 03 2008 at 23:41 | IP Logged Quote chrkov

Judetf,

You need to call them back. It does not work correctly with their software and they know it. 1.65 was put out to correct the issue of it not responding correctly to a ping. It does not work with houselinc either. Well, actually, some do and some dont. If you have only had them for under 30 days then just return them and then reorder them. Personally, I think they are rediculous on how they handle things. Lucky for me, I am a dealer and have one rep I deal with and have very few issues with them from that side. I would just call and raise hell. Keep going up the ladder if you have to.

judetf

Posted: February 04 2008 at 08:15 | IP Logged Quote judetf

Thanks for the encouragement. With all that in mind I will plan on calling back and seeing if I can change their minds. I'll repost with any new info.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: February 05 2008 at 14:07 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Got feedback from SmartHome and the toggle/non-toggle memory locations for the 1.6 firmware did change. I'll be adding this changes to the next beta so we'll be able to program these as well.

Dave.

judetf

Posted: February 06 2008 at 13:53 | IP Logged Quote judetf

So just tried calling them again and they are insisting that the problems are software based. Claimed that Houselinc has been updated to resolve that issue, and when I tried to press issues with "pinging" he asked for details on what exactly I was trying to do that wasn't working, and I didn't have answers.

Am I stressing over nothing? Dave, does your response indicate that at some point PH is likely to be updated in such a way that whatever issues are arising aren't anything to stress over?

I even tried the "Should I just return them since it's still within 30 days" approach and the rep indicated that he didn't believe 1.65 were actively shipping, and that I'd likely get a 1.6 back if I placed a new order.

Any thoughts? I confess that I haven't actually run into any problems, I'm just feeling general angst for having bought new toys only to find out that people are complaining about them. Does it matter? Should I really care?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version