Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: PLM or PLC Tripping GFCI’s? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

This may be a stupid post but has anyone ever had a main GFI breaker (in the fuse panel) trip when commands are being sent/received via a PLM or PLC? (or a filterlink). Ever since I put the PLM and Filterlink in the computer room the main GFI keeps tripping every morning (that's when i have most of the timers going off) im not home at the time when the breaker trips so i suspect it to be the "off" command... that or the dog has a new trick.... LOL
Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 16 2008 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

I don’t think milliamps and a modulated signal near the zero crossover point of 60 cycle don’t add up to a GFI tripping. What you might check is see if there is a voltage leak in one of the devices on that circuit or even the receptacle itself. Out of curiosity is that a whole house GFI or just 1 circuit?

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 17 2008 at 09:15 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

Just the bedroom outlets are on the one GFI. I unhooked the PLM two days ago and it has been two days that the GFI did not trip. Next step is to measure the current draw from the PLM. It may be faulty. It works but who know's why its tripping the breaker. But im 99% sure it was that. Two days it was plugged in it tripped the breaker, two days it was unplugged it did not trip it. WEIRD!
Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 17 2008 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Just a wild guess but, I wonder if the DB9 cable could cause it. You might want to check the ground potential from the computer to the ground at the PLM outlet. It could be the dog has learned a new trick.

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 14:06 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

Well, it turns out it was neither. I had two insteon light switches in one box that controlled the main ceiling light, and the 4 pot lights built into the wall above the bed. I had to use the same neutral in that box because the neutral for the pot lights never came to the box. I found out that the two hot wires in that box come from diffent breakers and that was the reason why the gfi would trip. I finaly found this after i the pot lights stop responding to insteon signals. Then after hitting the ON button 4 or 5 times in a row the GFI tripped (causing the ceiling lights to turn off) and the pot lighs turned on. Stupid electrician should have tested this. O wait that was me....

Thanks for all you help and tips.

ps. don't all neutral wires go to the same spot in the pannel? Why would that cause a false short?

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 14:34 | IP Logged Quote grif091

Both the neutral and hot legs of the GFI circuit are connected to the GFI breaker. There is a separate neutral connection (generally a pigtail) between the GFI breaker and the neutral connection point on the panel. Your wiring put current on the neutral of the GFI circuit from a source other than the hot leg from the GFI breaker.

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 15:06 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

Good call! thanks Lee

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version