Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Help - Voice Recognition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rmackay
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 15 2003 at 00:53 | IP Logged Quote rmackay

I have installed the latest beta/trial from the downloads page, and was so impressed I even purchased the program so I have a full version now. I have run the 3 speech related exe's and the text-to-speech works great. I am now trying to dabble with the voice recognition, but everytime I enable it and start PowerHome, I get a message stating "Initialization Error - An error occurred while attempting to initialize the voice recognition engine. Voice recognition will not be active."

I am running Windows XP and have gone through XP's voice training available in the control panel of WinXP.

What could be messed up that is not allowing the VR to work with PowerHome?

Thank you - Robert (Dallas, TX)

Back to Top View rmackay's Profile Search for other posts by rmackay

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 15 2003 at 13:32 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Robert,

Windows XP comes with Lernout and Hauspie Voice recognition already installed.  This will conflict with the Microsoft SAPI 4.0a drivers.  You'll have to uninstall all Lernout and Hauspie or L&H references and then reinstall the Microsoft SAPI.  You should be able to accomplish this from your Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.

Let me know if this works for you.  Im currently running XP Pro at home myself and once I removed the L&H drivers, had no problems with getting the VR working.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

rmackay
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 16 2003 at 18:39 | IP Logged Quote rmackay

I could not find Lernout and Hauspie or L&H references anywhere in my XP Home installation. I am still dead in the water with regards to voice recognition. Any more suggestions?
Back to Top View rmackay's Profile Search for other posts by rmackay

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 18 2003 at 00:17 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Robert,

I did some research at Microsofts site concerning the Speech Recognition within XP.  Apparently it isnt directly in XP and is installed when you install an XP service pack or Microsoft Office.  In any event, my understanding is that the engine may not necessarily be L&H.

To get the speech up and going with PowerHome, we'll have to remove all references to any current speech recognition including the SAPI 4.0 that was installed for PowerHome.  You'll find this in the Control Panel under Add / Remove Programs.  I also found the following instructions at Microsoft's site for removing the XP speech recognition:

How to Remove Speech Recognition

To remove speech recognition as a text service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
  2. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.
  3. Under Installed services, click Speech Recognition under the language you are using, and then click Remove. NOTE: If you remove speech recognition, it is not deleted from your computer. When you do so, speech recognition is no longer available as a text service and it is prevented from being loaded into memory. You can add it again at any time.

To completely remove the speech recognition engine from your hard disk, follow the instructions in the program with which it was installed, or use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Once all speech references are removed from your system, you should be able to attempt reinstalling the Microsoft SAPI 4.0a for PowerHome.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

didi

Posted: March 16 2005 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote didi

I am kind of stuck here too Dave.
I can't find any L&H references in the 'remove programs' screen.
In yoy last sugestion above i can't find any 'speech recognition' references ubder the languages tab.

Speech recognition ran fine under W98 but has never worked under xp

Any idea's ?
Back to Top View didi's Profile Search for other posts by didi Visit didi's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 16 2005 at 12:13 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

I did some searches and could not come up with anything additional. What are the error messages you get when trying to launch the PowerHome VR? It might give me some more to go on and possibly resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Dave.

didi

Posted: March 18 2005 at 07:32 | IP Logged Quote didi

Dave,

I get the message "Initialization Error - An error occurred while attempting to initialize the voice recognition engine. Voice recognition will not be active."

There's also a directory i can't delete : WINNT/Speech
Do you know a way to do this ?
Do you have a list of all the speech-files that have to be removed, prior to a clean install of your 3 speech files (from the downloadsection)

Thnx

Dirk
Back to Top View didi's Profile Search for other posts by didi Visit didi's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 05 2005 at 12:54 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

I sure dont. Ive just followed what I found posted on the Microsoft site. I'll see if I can scare up some more info though.

didi

Posted: April 08 2005 at 16:52 | IP Logged Quote didi

Dave,

I am using the new logitech USB microphone.
I've set this as the default recording device in the control panel.
In Sound Recorder, it works perfectly.
In Microphone Setup in Powerhome it works also.
In Training in Powerhome it doesn't do anything.
No question marks appear in the voice recognition field, so i presume the signal doesn't reach the core of Powerhome.

Help :-)

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 11 2005 at 15:36 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

Thats bizarre. Im not certain why it would not work in the training. Both the Microphone Setup and Training Wizard are just DLL calls into the Microsoft SAPI. I can understand working in Sound Recorder and not working in Microphone Setup and Training, but have no clue why it would work in Microphone Setup and NOT Training since they are both calls into the same Microsoft DLL.

Since no question marks appear in the VR field, then indeed, the SAPI DLL is not passing the VR info to PowerHome.

I did a search of the web and the only thing Ive turned up (which looks like you may already have covered in your message), is to go into the Control Panel->Multimedia and set the record properties to use the USB audio and check "Use preferred devices".

What kind of USB mic are you using? If the cost is not prohibitive, I might be able to pick one up to test with.

Dave.

didi

Posted: April 12 2005 at 03:24 | IP Logged Quote didi

Dave,

The Logitech tabletop model (they only have one)
To be able to use usb mic's would be great because you could hook up as many as you'd want + there would not be any analogue hassle like impedance matching problems, line transmission delays, electromagnetic interference ect...

Imagine a house with, instead of wallswitches, only tiny mic's with a pushbutton in the walls

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 12 2005 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Heh, that would be cool. Not sure how you could get the VR to recognize multiple mics though unless the pushbutton is physically plugging and unplugging the mic from the USB jack.

In any event, it looks like the Logitech USB desktop mic is about $30.00 here. I'll try to pick one up this weekend and see if I can make any headway.

BTW, since the new beta is out with full K8000 support, talk it up however you like .

Dave.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 12 2005 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

I just reread the thread to refresh my memory and see that you were having a problem with VR initialization. How were you able to overcome it?

Thanks,

Dave.

didi

Posted: April 13 2005 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote didi

I haven't overcome the problem yet because i think it has something to do with the USB microphone.

You wrote : "Not sure how you could get the VR to recognize multiple mics though unless the pushbutton is physically plugging and unplugging the mic from the USB jack"

Is the VR dll capable of listening to one mic only ?
The pushbutton does not actually disconnect the USB from the computer.
It merely stops the a/d conversion i think.

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 18 2005 at 16:57 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

Im not sure, but I think the Microsoft SAPI is only designed to work with a single microphone input.

I didnt get a chance to get the USB mic yet. Local Best Buy was out. They should have more on the truck this week though. I'll let you know how my testing goes.

Dave.

didi

Posted: May 26 2005 at 03:45 | IP Logged Quote didi

Did you get the chance to do some testing Dave ?

Dirk

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Dirk,

Unfortunately, no. Ive had a development machine crash and a good majority of my time has been sucked away on the new house and prepping the old house for selling. I havent forgotten though .

How is the K8000 integration coming?

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version