Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Front End Control GUI Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tbeckman

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 27 2010 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote tbeckman

Just curious what people are using mostly for there front end control CC, xlobby, ehome or other? If not CC, how well have you found it to integrate with PH and Elk? I am waiting on the new version of PH to see if CC is any easier to use, but will would like to look at another software if it can make it easier to put together. Thanks.
Back to Top View tbeckman's Profile Search for other posts by tbeckman

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 27 2010 at 20:00 | IP Logged Quote smarty

I use Xlobby. While I have it "talking" with PowerHome very well, I don't think I would recommend it.

I bought 3 Xlobby licenses when Xlobby went private. Now, Calrad (who owns Xlobby) primarily uses Xlobby to sell the associated hardware to make a HA system work (they don't focus on just selling the software - not saying they don't..you have to call and ask them). Because of this, they don't offer much along the lines of user manuals or helpfiles. Since I have been with Xlobby for so long, I have been able to keep up with most/all the undocumented changes....starting from scratch would be PAINFUL!

Don't get me wrong, I love Xlobby, but the timing was right when I got in....but I don't think I would have chosen the same path if I had to do it with todays circumstances.

Sorry that I don't have more to add.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 27 2010 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I played with lots of potential front-end's, but all I have ever really used were web pages. Also, I never used the CC.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

jbbtex

Posted: January 29 2010 at 07:28 | IP Logged Quote jbbtex

I use eHome Digital Tools HA version 6.

It works fairly well, but can sometimes be frustrating.

I use it on my kitchen touch screen. And as long as I don't do a lot of tweaking, it is very stable.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - Gen. George S. Patton
Back to Top View jbbtex's Profile Search for other posts by jbbtex

tbeckman

Posted: February 04 2010 at 00:48 | IP Logged Quote tbeckman

If you were to do it over again now... what would you think about using?

smarty wrote:
I use Xlobby. While I have it "talking" with PowerHome very well, I don't think I would recommend it.

I bought 3 Xlobby licenses when Xlobby went private. Now, Calrad (who owns Xlobby) primarily uses Xlobby to sell the associated hardware to make a HA system work (they don't focus on just selling the software - not saying they don't..you have to call and ask them). Because of this, they don't offer much along the lines of user manuals or helpfiles. Since I have been with Xlobby for so long, I have been able to keep up with most/all the undocumented changes....starting from scratch would be PAINFUL!

Don't get me wrong, I love Xlobby, but the timing was right when I got in....but I don't think I would have chosen the same path if I had to do it with todays circumstances.

Sorry that I don't have more to add.

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: February 04 2010 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote smarty

If I were start over again from SCRATCH today (GUI front end and programable back end), I would consider CQC, MainLobby, Homeseer and PowerHome (they may be others).

Not being too familiar with the first 3 above programs, I think Mainlobby and CQC both offer very nice, customizable GUI's, and have a substantial back-end programming functionality. The downside for me at the time was cost (was in the middle of a large home construction project when I started the HA hobby).

Homeseer and PH have great programming capability, and front end GUI option are getting alot better.

I still can't say enough about PowerHome. The back-end programming strength is great, the front end GUI options are pretty decent, and Dave's support, the low price....we are lucky!!!!

onhiatus

Posted: February 04 2010 at 14:47 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

I'm with Tony (the other one) - there is very little you cannot do (or fake) with a web page.

Currently I'm migrating to an iPhone (iPod Touch actually) version of my touch screen page (look else where on this board) and the result is pretty much indistinguishable from a native app)

If you know html (java and css) or are willing to get your hands dirty it's the way to go.

Have fun, Tony
Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

tbeckman

Posted: February 17 2010 at 18:01 | IP Logged Quote tbeckman

Does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to create a simple webpage that can interface with power-home to control lights and show status? Thanks for your help.

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 16 2010 at 14:22 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Can anyone help me with getting XLobby to work with PH? Complete newb guide needed. I'm attempting to run xLobby on a separate system from what PH is installed on. Please advise if this is even possible.
Back to Top View sjvonstein's Profile Search for other posts by sjvonstein

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 16 2010 at 18:27 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Probably should start a new thread....

For communications from PH to Xlobby, you must use the Xlobby plugin called XRecieve ( Link:�� http://perso.wanadoo.fr/packstlaurent/public/xlobby/XReceive .rar)

For communications from Xlobby to PH (other direction), you have at least two options. If Xlobby and PH are on the same machine, I use the PowerHome Windows Message Command Line Controller. If PH is on a remote machine (as you described), I then use the PowerHome Socket Server Command Line Controller. Both these controllers can be downloaded from the Main PH Download web page.

Hope this helps.

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 16 2010 at 19:44 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Yeah, definitely need more detail than that. Downloaded the plug in, threw it in the plugins folder and nada. I'm gonna need some detailed help

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 16 2010 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Google, Xlobby forum, this forum and the reference .txt documents are your friends...

I will help as I can, but I am not on here all the time...

New or free version of Xlobby? It works with both (I had both set-ups for a while).

See this (second link is BEST):
http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6993&p=49607&hi lit=xrecieve#p49607

and here

http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4675&p=31981&hil it=xrecieve#p31981

Edited by smarty - April 16 2010 at 20:57

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 22 2010 at 09:42 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Ok, so I got xlobby communicating with PH. I was so damn happy. But now it seems I can't buy xlobby without equipment and I'm disappointed again :)

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 22 2010 at 13:52 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Have you contacted Wes (at Xlobby) directly to plead your case? They may (or may not) make an exception......

Glad you got the older Xlobby "free version" working with PH.

The new version has a number of enhancements, but the free version teamed with PH is STILL EXTREMELY powerful (via PH) and skinable/customizable via the free, old version of Xlobby.

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:01 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

The response from X-Lobby:

"We usually don't sell the software unless its out of the country or for OEM clients. I can give it to you for $1000.00 But please keep in mind that customer support will be via email and the xLobby Forum."

There's no way in hell I'd pay $1000.00 for that software. All I want it for, and I explained this, was to control lighting. Dave's progress in the CC will likely be my answer to this problem.

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 28 2010 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote smarty

sjvonstein wrote:
....Dave's progress in the CC will likely be my answer to this problem.

Sounds like your best bet....

Thanks for sharing their answer....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version