Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Question about noise and insteons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JanetWireless

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 15 2014 at 23:28 | IP Logged Quote JanetWireless

Hi, I stumbled on this form when searching for an AF300.

We have insteon devices installed throughout our house.
We are having problems where a few of them (in the same location) are acting as if one controls another one (e.g. turn one on, they both turn on, turn if off, they both turn off).

Wiring has been thoroughly checked out.
A master reset of all the insteon devices fixed the problem for 2 weeks, then once again two of them linked together (two different ones).

Talking to insteon support, they said that something was causing noise (cfl light bulbs, HVAC damper, etc.) and making the insteon devices think they were just made a responder. Then when one was broadcasting their state change (e.g. being turned on/off), the other did the same - thinking it was a responder.

We have cfl light bulbs used throughout the house so I have doubts that is causing the problem (we would be seeing this issue in different locations).

We believe this problem first showed up when the HVAC was powered down for several days so that is not a likely candidate.
There are some power tools being used, irregularly as battery powered drills are being used for the most part.
A second insteon support person thought the power tools might be "programming" the insteon devices.
And suggested using an AF300 to isolate the noise.

Any ideas on what type of noise would be causing the insteon to start acting like one is a responder to another one?

Thanks,
Janet
Back to Top View JanetWireless's Profile Search for other posts by JanetWireless

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 16 2014 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

I have been fighting noise for a long time so I understand your frustration. I removed all of my cfls because of unpredictable results although most of my problem with them was the dimming. I have fought the random on and off problem and sometimes I get traces from devices that make no sense at all. That being said these things can cause some of the problems. Trac lighting does not only respond unpredictably it also generates noise that will sometimes cause other devices to respond. Solution the higher end X10 intelligent dimmer switches. The problem with them is you cannot test their state. USB PLMs connected to a unpowered USB switch will create the same problems. Works most of the time then all of a sudden the lights are unpredictable. This one has caused me to make programming changes to no avail. The most common causes are the ones you have already addressed. Power strips, chargers, motors and computers. I use a noise filter on my power strip that most of my peripheral equipment is plugged into. I also have one that my battery pack is plugged into where all my keep alive stuff is plugged. Such as computers , monitors , phone ATA, modems and routers.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version