Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: PowerHome Crashing With iTach Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2016 at 19:09 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

I installed an iTach wifi unit about a month ago. Ever since, PH has been silently shutting down every few days. I looked through the log file and see nothing useful. I also checked the windows event viewer and don't see much there either. I can't be certain it's the iTach but it sure seems coincidental.
I saw a post from about a year ago where someone else was having a similar issue and I believe you were working on a fix. Is there any word on that?
I am running version 2.1.5D of PH.
Back to Top View jonkjon's Profile Search for other posts by jonkjon

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 25 2016 at 22:50 | IP Logged Quote smarty

I think 2.1.5.D has all the latest fixes (new catalyst controller or something of the like)

I know I moved away from a WI-FI Itach because it ran on the "b" speed of Wi-Fi (slowing everything else down).

and....

Posted: April 02 2015 at 22:59 | IP Logged Report Post Quote dhoward

Steve,

I'll be reworking the reconnect code for the Global
Cache controller (the WiFi2IR). That is what is causing
PowerHome to crash and consequently cause the VSP
plugins to hang (when PH crashes, it does not properly
unload the VSP system hooks. When you relaunch
PowerHome, the VSP hooks are still residual so you mush
restart the PC to clear this condition).

Dave.

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 27 2016 at 20:38 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

"I know I moved away from a WI-FI Itach because it ran on the "b" speed of Wi-Fi ...."

Is there another Wi-Fi IR controller that will work with PH? I don't have access to wire in something where I am using it. Thanks for the reply.

--Jon

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: April 28 2016 at 11:17 | IP Logged Quote smarty

I am NOT aware of another Wi-Fi IR controller.

Could you maybe use an IR BLASTER from somewhere you could run wire to? IR emitters have to be stuck on the device your controlling, but an IR blaster could be fully across the room (assuming you have a clear line of sight)....   

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 28 2016 at 16:23 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

I am going to try a reinit each night to see if that helps. Maybe even a couple of times a day. I have manually re-initialized a few times with this issue and it seems to clear things up when I do.
The only other alternative I see is to setup a client bridge and use my GC-100 but that is going to mean I need to invest in the blaster for the 100 as the blaster with the iTach isn't compatible. Probably worth it though if the re-initialization doesn't take care of it.

--Jon

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 30 2016 at 06:20 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

OK, so the re-initialization seems to be stopping the crash but, and it's a big one, the iTach is sending ir out when it does. I scheduled two ph_initialize() commands one in the afternoon and one around 2am. Unfortunately, and I don't know why, it's sending the command to turn on the television at 2am. It doesn't do that for the one in the afternoon. Just one of those things...kind of funny but not funny at the same time!   
I'm going to do away with the 2am command and see how just one re-init does. I did setup a client bridge and that works fine with the gc-100 but I don't have the blaster for it.....yet. Having a hard time swallowing that $50 price tag!

--Jon

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: April 30 2016 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

One more boring follow up to this. I have disabled the iTach and went back to the GC-100. Fumbling around through my archive of old automation gear, I came across some old x10 Powermids. I forgot I had them. So my home brew version of the iTach now looks like this: PH >> WiFi Client Bridge >> GC-100 >> IR 3 Out >> Powermid Transmitter >> Powermid Receiver >> GC Blaster(that came with the iTach). All tucked neatly behind a large speaker.
Works very well so far! Hopefully, the iTach was the problem!

--Jon

jonkjon
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 15 2016 at 18:43 | IP Logged Quote jonkjon

Just wanted to report back that the iTach most certainly was the culprit regarding the crashes I was having. Been up and running with the configuration I posted above for 2 weeks without a hitch.

--Jon

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version