Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: *Auto Detect Type* Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 13 2016 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

I just started to add several 2477D Insteon Dimmer Switch devices to Powerhome and have been complete buffaloed for a day now.

No matter what I do I can not get them to add to the Devices tab.

If I use *AutoDetect Device* I get NAKS returned, and the DETECT ENGINE keeps repeating until the Device is automatically Disabled for non-response.

If I try to determine the device type info using a ph_insteonwithret("LANAI WALLS", 16, 0) command I get a "-4" (NAK) error.

I have tried two different 2477D devices and have moved them to three different locations, one of them at the socket with the PLM so there should be no signal issues.

I Cleared and Added Min to the PLC/PLM Database to no effect, and have both reinitialized and restarted PH but all to no avail.

I have entered these devices many time before with no issues I recall. There have been no changes to my PH machine or software so really at a loss as to what is going on.

I even manually set in the Devices Tab the Device Type to a 2477D, checked the Use Ext for ALDB, tried checking and unchecking the Previous Exclude attribute, and tried I2 and I2CS settings to no avail. The I2 setting stops the endless Detect Engine effort but produces no results. The device never responds to PH control commands and returns Timeout errors in the Raw Log.

Everything else works absolutely fine throughout my house and I just successfully set up two keypads by connecting a cord to the same outlet I am now using to set up the 2477D.

Any thoughts? I think I have eliminated all variables with signals, connections, device definitions, etc.
I find it hard to believe I have just experienced 2 bad brand new 2477D devices.

Edited by GadgetGuy - May 13 2016 at 20:06

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 13 2016 at 21:29 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

I see a couple of CTLR NAK2 messages which is a NAK
from the controller instead of from the device and a
couple of TIMEOUT's.

It's entirely possible that SmartHome has once again
made changes to the protocol if these are brand new
devices. I would try making a manual link first. Place
the 2477D in link mode and then press the button on
your PLM (or if you're using the stick PLM, go into
the "Manual Linking" tab and do the link controller as
a responder at the bottom).

Once you've got the initial manual link, see if the
rest starts working. If it does, then they probably
changed the mechanism for creating the first link
programmatically.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 15 2016 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Tried a bunch of FW Rev 7.8 2477D devices with no luck then tried a 7.9 and it worked, but I did it differently.

Rather than changing the Address on the Device ID and checking "Treat as New" and doing a factory reset on it before attempting to add to PH Device list, I skipped the Factory Reset Deleted the prior named device from the Devices Tab (re-initing afterward of course) and I left the Appended device name as NEW DEVICE.

This worked, and it seemed to work when I went back and tried several Rev 7.8 devices.

I think deleting my specific device ID and starting fresh rather than leaving the ID and changing the Insteon Address is probably what made the difference.

I was able to add 3 more 2477D units (all Rev 7.8) doing it this "pure" way.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version