Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Programming
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Programming
Subject Topic: Insteon All On/Off Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2010 at 08:32 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Does anyone know of a better way to turn all insteon devices on or off without individually listing each device/group in a macro?
Back to Top View sjvonstein's Profile Search for other posts by sjvonstein

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 26 2010 at 09:05 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Group 255 should turn all devices on. This group is internal to all Insteon devices.

Grif is one of resident Insteon experts....I'm sure he will chime in soon.

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 26 2010 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Thanks! I wonder if this will apply to ApplianceLinc devices as well, or if there is a differentiation between lighting and appliance devices.

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 26 2010 at 16:32 | IP Logged Quote grif091

The RemoteLinc is one of the few devices that use an Insteon All On and All Off function. It sends a Group Broadcast message only using Group 255 with Fast On (0x12) for All On and Group 255 with Fast Off (0x14) for All Off.   I would expect this to work with an ApplianceLinc but have not tried it with an ApplianceLinc. However, this only works for devices that have been linked as responders to the Controller. That is, only the devices that have been linked to one or more of the RemoteLinc buttons respond to the All On or All Off button press. All On and All Off is not a general Insteon network All On/All Off function. You will have to build a PLC/PLM Group with all the devices you want to respond and then you should be able to issue a single Fast On or Fast Off for Group 255….

Ooops.   That presents a problem that I just realized as typing this. For the RemoteLinc situation, each responder has a “Responder to” link record reflecting the Group number of the RemoteLinc button to which it is responding (Group 1-6). No specific “Responder to” link record exists for Group 255 in each responder. To accomplish this under PowerHome you will have to link the PLM as a Controller to all the responders using Group 255 and then define a PLC/PLM Group specifying Group 255 so the PLC/PLM ID defined relates to and will use Group 255. This is not the situation that the responders were expecting so it may or may not work. Best guess is that it will work but I would set up a test with only a few responders and see if it works. If it does you can add as many responders to the Group as you want to respond to what will be an All On/All Off. Also keep in mind that you will be adding 2000 to the command number used in the ph_insteongroup call so that only the Group Broadcast message is issued. This is what the RemoteLinc does. Otherwise you will be sending Group Cleanup Direct messages to every device in the Group. Could create large amounts of insteon traffic if you do not suppress the Group Cleanup Direct messages with the 2000 + command number. Also note that because the Group Cleanup Direct messages are being suppressed there is no guarantee that every device will actually respond to the All On or All Off. They do with the RemoteLinc in my situation but I have worked at getting a clean powerline. In an environment where the powerline is dirty there will be less reliability with a Group Broadcast message only scenario.

Edited by grif091 - May 26 2010 at 16:38

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 26 2010 at 17:07 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

I have no problem with the devices responding to a 255 issued from powerhome. My new concern is preventing certain devices (the appliancelinc specifically) from responding to these commands.

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: May 26 2010 at 17:16 | IP Logged Quote grif091

So long as the ApplianceLinc does not have a responder link with the PLM as the Controller (for any Group, not just 255) I would not expect the ApplianceLinc to respond. However, if you are controlling the ApplianceLinc with a PLM Group other than 255 I would expect the ApplianceLinc to respond to Group 255. Not like X10 where there is an All Lights versus All Units command.

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: May 26 2010 at 21:40 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

I am using PowerHome to control everything, so naturally, I cannot avoid having the ApplianceLinc as a responder to the PLC

sjvonstein
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 02 2010 at 13:26 | IP Logged Quote sjvonstein

Turns out that the ApplianceLinc (I just installed one) does NOT respond to Group 255 commands. I'm happy about that, but certainly am now on the hunt for the group command that it does respond to, if any.

grif091
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 02 2010 at 14:29 | IP Logged Quote grif091

All Insteon responder devices react to a Group On or Group Off. The Group number is determined by the Controller. If you have not linked the ApplianceLinc as a Responder to the PowerHome PLM, it would not respond to a Group 255 command issued by the PLM. I linked an ApplianceLinc to my RemoteLinc and the ApplianceLinc does respond to the All On and All Off buttons on the RemoteLinc.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version