Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Programming
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Programming
Subject Topic: SQL Problem with userdata2 Table Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:11 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Dave-

This is probably for you to answer unless someone else knows.

I am trying to write a (long) number (ie, temperature like 23.1 degrees) into the userdata2 "valnum3" column, which is allegedly a numeric column.

BUT I am getting an SQL error comment saying my temperature cannot be converted to a datetime value.

I thought this column (as well as the other "valnum" columns were supposed to be defined as numeric, not timestamp fields.

ALSO note the error comment says 'EMT-FREEZER...' and not 'TEMP-FREEZER' as it should.

Am I missing something, or is this a db error?

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:56 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

Couple of errors. Valnum3 is indeed a numeric field of type integer (use the "select * from sys.syscolumns where tname = 'userdata2'" to see the actual layout of the table) so will not hold a decimal value. Valnum4 is a numeric of type double so you would have to use this field to store a decimal value.

Second problem is that variable substitution is not done in the SQL editor...only in the PH Formula editor. So {TEMP-FREEZER_C} means nothing to the SQL interpreter and the {T will instead be interpreted as some type of SQL escape character....probably convert the data to a timestamp, hence your error. The SQL editor is ONLY a SQL editor...no functions, variable substitution, etc.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 18 2014 at 07:01 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Well now that sure makes sense !!

I kinda thought that since the Editor was embedded in PH that things would get interpreted, but that was just wishful thinking.

For future reference, would you recommend this site as a good reference source for PH SQL care and feeding?

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybas e.infocenter.dc00801.1530/doc/html/san1281564727527.html

[:-)}

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 18 2014 at 09:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

I checked out the link and it would be mostly relevant. The SQL reference is for Sybase IQ which is definitely a different animal from the SQL Anywhere 11 database engine used in PowerHome.

I did some more searching and was able to find a SQL Anywhere 10 SQL reference on the Sybase site. This would be ALOT closer to what is currently in use in PowerHome.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dbrfen10/ pdf/dbrfen10.pdf?noframes=true

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

GadgetGuy
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 18 2014 at 09:35 | IP Logged Quote GadgetGuy

Thanks!

Downloaded the PDF and it looks extremely helpful.

Now I am DANGEROUS!

So, I need to ask again (you may have missed my other posting at the same time as this one), can I create my own Table, as the userData Tables are not quite appropriate for my schema?

I know I can create a table, but don't know what its impact might be on PH, thus need to know if there are any special considerations I need to be aware of. I am also assuming I can view (SELECT *) and use this new table.   

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Ken,

See other post for answer concerning create table.

Dave.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version