Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
QuickStart Guide suggestions and feedback
 PowerHome Messageboard : QuickStart Guide suggestions and feedback
Subject Topic: New QuickStart Guide Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2007 at 14:01 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Well, version .11 is right around the corner and in the meantime we've got a new PowerHome QuickStart Guide for your review here: PowerHome QuickStart Guide.

Written by one of our own top users, Noel Adler (forum handle NADLER). Check it out and be sure to post comments, corrections, and improvements on this forum. Also, feel free to thank Noel for all of his hard work on this great document.

Dave.

Edited by dhoward - June 20 2007 at 21:57
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 15 2007 at 08:39 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Noel,
After breifly scanning this doc, I look forward to an indepth read this weekend.

A doc like this will help all PH users.... and especially the NEW users!!!

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 15 2007 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote nadler

Dave and I worked hard on making it readable and useful. Let us know what you think. All comments (positive and negative) welcome. We're going to use the feedback to improve the BIG PH manual.

Noel
Back to Top View nadler's Profile Search for other posts by nadler

wasdvd
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 15 2007 at 10:23 | IP Logged Quote wasdvd

Many thanks for the great effort, I will read this in detail to pick up techniques I have missed before.

I especially like the emphasis on Insteon setup, since that is my platform.

I also look forward to the new release. Thanks for the neat package.

Are you making any progress on the serial Insteson PLC?
Back to Top View wasdvd's Profile Search for other posts by wasdvd

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 20 2007 at 21:58 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Minor changes made to the new QuickStart Guide. Revision 5 is now available on the download page or at the link in the first post.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

MrGibbage
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 23 2007 at 11:21 | IP Logged Quote MrGibbage

Dave, quit teasing us! I am checking the forum every 45 seconds or so to see if you've uploaded the new PH.

Just kidding. Please, take your time. But I know I probably speak for many when I say "Keep up the good work and I am sooo looking forward to the next version".

Skip
Back to Top View MrGibbage's Profile Search for other posts by MrGibbage

jack1747

Posted: June 27 2007 at 17:11 | IP Logged Quote jack1747

Need some Elk stuff... For beginners like me.. Like how to setup zones that can trigger events etc. Basic like how do I even setup a zone or can PH suck the zone info from the Elk.... I read elkm1.htm a couple of times but it is over my head.
Back to Top View jack1747's Profile Search for other posts by jack1747

funbobbybaby69
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: June 18 2008 at 16:02 | IP Logged Quote funbobbybaby69

Once a month, (or even once a week) someone should put on an online tutorial with different topics to help people like me (newbie’s) ie. "Next lesson: Macros" Where we can actually watch someone program PH to send text messages when there are weather warnings, or if someone is at your front door, or the lawn has been watered.
This program seems to have the potential of doing so much but I have no idea how to do it. I would be willing to pay for each lesson and I’m sure there are a lot of people that would do the same.
Just my thoughts...

Thanks

Back to Top View funbobbybaby69's Profile Search for other posts by funbobbybaby69

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 17:41 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

Actually, I didn't have much problem. If you look in the history, I asked a LOT of questions (maybe 2 dozen in all) over 2-3 weeks and then I had it nailed. Get started! try a few things, when they don't work - post here. and it's free!
/j
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: June 26 2008 at 18:06 | IP Logged Quote nadler

funbobbybaby69,
I'm sure everyone agrees that yours is a great idea. I'm also pretty sure that no one has the time to put something like that together.

I'm currently working with Dave to get a new manual out and one of the things Dave is working on is a Setup Wizard to get new users up and running quickly. He's even working on a "My First Control Center" so that the control center won't be a mystery to new users. Dave's also been talking about wizards for various, more complex things such as the weather plugin, etc.

As you know, PH is sooo powerful that it takes a while to be comfortable with all the things it can do. I think the wizards will go along way to help newcomers get started.

But if anyone is willing to put on weekly tutorials of PH I'm sure Dave will entertain the idea.

Noel

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 07 2008 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

funbobbybaby69, I've been thinking about this. Any one here have something like a gotomeeting.com account? I can also try the Windows Media Encoder and see how that works.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

BeachBum
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 08 2008 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote BeachBum

Noel, I like the idea of “My First Control Center” as I have as yet to tackle building one out of procrastination. I tried a few times put stumbled.

Jeff’s ideas are valid but only if you know the right questions to ask. Sometimes one can not see the forest through the trees.

When I go back and think what my greatest obstacles were, I would put formula syntax at the top. I had a hard time comprehending the different mix and matches of values. A nice feature would be an enhancement to the Formula Builder that would check for syntax rather then just show an “!”. Maybe some form of an interactive Formula Builder would help. I would believe the logic of formulas would be more difficult to teach but easier to learn by experimentation.

My 2 cents worth….

nadler
Super User
Super User

Posted: July 08 2008 at 12:14 | IP Logged Quote nadler

I too have difficulty with formula syntax. I'm not quite sure how to tackle that one from a PH Manual prospective, but I will give it a try. I'm sure Dave will read your message and chime in on the super-duper formula validator idea.

BTW, Dave also mentioned that he's working on a Control Center enhancement which makes it not only easier to set up and use but automatically updates the information on the screens based on changes in global variables. Right now to update the global variable values on the control center screen you have to do it through a macro or formula. Soon you won't need to do that. That should be neat!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version