Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: General (newbie) question - GROUPS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jwshome

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 23 2006 at 08:14 | IP Logged Quote jwshome

How do I create a group of three devices so that, when I press a single button on a KPL, with a single trigger command I can turn all three lights on?

Perhaps more generally - is there a user manual that explains the basic functionality of PH? I must be an idiot not to be able to find it. The browser-based help file explains how all the programming functions work, but if I just want to know, for example, how Triggers work, and I can't find any place that documents that. The onscreen "question marks" are helpful but they sometimes bring upa text box that extends beyond the edge of my screen (the text doesn't seem to wrap correctly).

I'm not a novice to home automation, just to Powerhome, and I'm sure I'm missing some big menu item right in front of me - hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Edited by jwshome - December 23 2006 at 09:17
Back to Top View jwshome's Profile Search for other posts by jwshome

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:37 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I don't have any KPL's, but, regarding links...

dhoward wrote:
The PLC supports a total of 254 individual groups and the global group for a grand total of 255 groups. These groups are simply numbered from 1 to 255 (or 01 thru FF) in Insteon terms. Group 255 is the global group and you should never add or create links directly to this group.

To create links to any of the PLC groups, you would use the "Links" tab in the Insteon Explorer. These PLC groups will be with the PLC as the "Controller" and the other devices as "Responders". To do this, just select the PLC in the middle window labeled "Devices" and all devices "controlling" the PLC will appear in the top window and all devices "responding" or controlled by the PLC will appear in the bottom window. This is the window we'll be working with to create Insteon groups. In the right hand window, select the devices you wish to add as PLC responders by clicking on them. You can select multiple rows by holding either the Control or Shift keys while clicking. If you click on a heading, then the window will toggle between selecting all rows or unselecting all rows. Once you've got the devices selected, click on the left facing arrow beneath the right hand window to copy the devices into the "Responders" window. Once the devices are copied, you'll need to type the group number of the PLC that you wish the devices to respond to. You'll also need to fill in the button number if the device is a KPL and the Desired Level and Desired Ramprate if they differ from the default. When you're done, click the "Save" text to save the changes and start PowerHome creating the links.

The "PLC Groups" tab just allows you to assign an easy to remember "ID" to each of the PLC's 255 groups and in no way has anything to do with creating or setting up the groups or links that make up a group. It's just a way to substitute an ID for a number (and required with the Device Control strings as this only excepts the ID and not a number).

For general info, you want the PowerHome Users Manual (pdf in the PH folder).

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

mustangcoupe
Super User
Super User

Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote mustangcoupe

in my powerhome menu under the windows start menu, program files there is a quick start guide and users manual in pdf format.

HA newbie

PowerHome - UPB - ELK    
Back to Top View mustangcoupe's Profile Search for other posts by mustangcoupe Visit mustangcoupe's Homepage

jwshome

Posted: December 24 2006 at 00:07 | IP Logged Quote jwshome

Thanks - I found the manual and will start reviewing it.
Back to Top View jwshome's Profile Search for other posts by jwshome

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 26 2006 at 12:50 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Jwshome,

Let me know if you've found everything you need. The manual has not been updated along with the beta versions so there will be some mismatch but should be enough to get you going.

The problem with the hover-help on the Insteon Explorer screen will be fixed by converting the info to standard help in the next beta.

PowerHome definately has a learning curve so don't feel bad. Feel free to ask away and I or some other member will be glad to help.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version