Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Hardware
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Hardware
Subject Topic: Microsoft ehome IR transceiver Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
raven77
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 18 2007 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote raven77

I have a Dell XPS gen2 laptop running Windows MCE. It came with an IR transceiver (Microsoft Ehome?). Is there any easy way to make this work with PowerHome? I know its not supported, but I thought with some quick mods maybe I could make it work.
thanks for any input!!
Mike
Back to Top View raven77's Profile Search for other posts by raven77

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 20 2007 at 23:57 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Mike,

Im not familiar with this device so am not sure of it's capabilities. I did a quick Google but could not come up with any real useful information.

Is it currently possible to control with any command line utilities? If so, then PowerHome should have no problem controlling in that method. If there is a standalone program that allows sending of IR commands, then PowerHome can probably also send the appropriate control commands using that method as well.

As far as direct support, it would probably be a little tough. Unless they publish an SDK or protocol for the device, it wouldnt be easy. If they do publish a protocol/SDK, send me the link and I'll take a look. With the new generic plugin interface, it could probably be done, but would not be as nice as a standard PowerHome IR controller until the forthcoming Controller Plugin interface for PowerHome is released.

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

raven77
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 21 2007 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote raven77

dhoward wrote:
Mike,

Im not familiar with this device so am not sure of it's capabilities. I did a quick Google but could not come up with any real useful information.

Is it currently possible to control with any command line utilities? If so, then PowerHome should have no problem controlling in that method. If there is a standalone program that allows sending of IR commands, then PowerHome can probably also send the appropriate control commands using that method as well.

As far as direct support, it would probably be a little tough. Unless they publish an SDK or protocol for the device, it wouldnt be easy. If they do publish a protocol/SDK, send me the link and I'll take a look. With the new generic plugin interface, it could probably be done, but would not be as nice as a standard PowerHome IR controller until the forthcoming Controller Plugin interface for PowerHome is released.

Dave.

Thanks again for the quick reply,
I finally found a stand alone program that works with this IR transceiver. Its called "HIP", here is a link to it
HID Program
There is probably some information here that would be helpful too. MCE remote I am not aware of any command line utilities that control it though. I am still playing around with the "HIP" software, but it seems to allow control of external programs...not sure how to set it up yet.
thanks again,
Mike

Edited by raven77 - January 21 2007 at 14:21
Back to Top View raven77's Profile Search for other posts by raven77

onhiatus

Posted: February 26 2007 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote onhiatus

I haven't looked in depth yet, but I have been keeping my eyes open as my next PC is coming with one of these.

Anyway, here is a discussion for an API with source for controlling the two MCE emiters.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/49926.aspx

Dave, this should be useful if you want to add MCE support. Or, perhaps it could be added as a plug in? When is that next release coming?

Back to Top View onhiatus's Profile Search for other posts by onhiatus Visit onhiatus's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version