Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome Hardware
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome Hardware
Subject Topic: Home Theater Receiver & PH Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
smarty
Super User
Super User

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 14 2007 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote smarty

I am trying to determine which Home Theater Receiver would best suit my needs (there are a ton of them out there). Inputs and outputs are NOT where I need the advice. I need help concerning how to control the receiver. My HA set-up includes PowerHome, Elk, X-Lobby and SageTV). I would prefer NOT to add anything else into the mix.

I will have a PC near the receiver. The PC will be a source for audio, video (HD and SD) and hopefully receiver control.   I am hoping that the receiver can be controlled via PowerHome’s DCC client that would be running on the PC. I would prefer serial or Ethernet connectivity for this control (rather than IR).

Which HT receivers have the best/most flexible/easiest control possibilities that I can access using PowerHome? To my knowledge, PH home has no native support or plug-ins for any sort of HT receiver; so, I assume I will have to write PH macros to control com port commands (right?).

Is there a better way of doing this? Am I missing something that would allow for better HT receiver control?

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 14 2007 at 18:59 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Looks like the Denon AVR-2307CI ($799) has a '232 port and would be a good choice. It has HDMI and component switching, plus a second zone output as a bonus. Not much else until you get up to $7,200 at Crutchfield.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 14 2007 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Let me re-focus the question.

I will have 4 or 5 TV’s in the house (no more than 2 on at any one time usually). Video sources (inputs) would be: analogue cable, SageTV DVR content from PC #1, Security Cam DVR content from PC #2, and OTA HD.

I am looking for a “video switch” capability so that I could send any one of my source signals to any one of my TV’s (and yet control this source routing).

It seems that most of the HT receivers I have been looking at are designed to have ONLY 1 active output.

What is the solution that will allow me to connect all my sources and TV's to one controlable "box", and send different output to different TV at the same time?

twomble
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 14 2007 at 21:24 | IP Logged Quote twomble

Without knowing your budget or all the ins and outs of your system I can't give any specific recommendations, but I think you should have a look at this site...
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/Key-Digital.html
I'm sure you can come up with one or more items from there to fit your needs.
Back to Top View twomble's Profile Search for other posts by twomble

smarty
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 15 2007 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote smarty

Wow, these are the video/audio switching toys I have been looking for.

I have some really BASIC NEWB questions.....

A general question on video switches.... On a switch that has 4 inputs and 2 outputs...

1) Is it generally possible to send 1 input to both outputs (ie can it split an input)?

2) Is is generally possible to send a different input to EACH output at the same time? In other words can they route two unique video stream out at the same time (I would think so but I need to ask).    

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 15 2007 at 10:10 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Yes to both.

Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version